Do I Line This Ribbon? How? Help!!

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm by bakingkat

ajwonka Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #1 of 8

I need to make a cake similar to this one:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1468980

Buttercream cake, 1/8" real royal blue ribbon

I haven't been able to find double-sided ribbon that thin & totally dread the thought of lining that length or tiny ribbon with clear packing tape. Help! What do I do??

7 replies
SweetSuzieQ Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:55am
post #2 of 8

Does it have to be ribbon? If you look at the cake found at this link:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2011/07/sunday-sweets-modern-marvels.html

It has the same look with no ribbon required.

ajwonka Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:29am
post #3 of 8

Customer wants ribbon . . .

AnnieCahill Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:52am
post #4 of 8

You can either line it or do what I did last Saturday. She had red satin ribbon and I soaked it in shortening before putting it on the cake. The ribbon WILL stain as it soaks up grease from the buttercream but it gets only a shade darker.

For Saturday's cake I had used a small piece of the ribbon (not soaked in shortening) to help me measure out a pattern I was doing, and when I pulled the ribbon off it left red dye on the cake. That's when I decided to cover it with shortening. Just dip your fingers in some shortening and run it down the length of the ribbon, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel after it has soaked for about five minutes.

That is a LOT of ribbon to line, and thin too. I wouldn't bother with it truthfully.

ajwonka Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 8

Great tip! I'd never thought of greasing it on purpose so the color would stay uniform! Thanks so very much for posting!

jewels710 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 8

Ditto on the grease thing.
The blue & hydrangea wedding cake in my pics uses real ribbon.
I wrapped a paper towel around my hand, dipped it in shortening and spread it all over the ribbon, wiped off any globby areas making sure the entire ribbon was covered and hung it til I was ready to use it.
I used it about an hour later and I think the shortening actually helped adhere it to the cake.

Have Fun!

carmijok Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 8

I've always used Press-n-Seal cut in strips to adhere to the back. Or you can use wax paper applied with double sided tape. Some people say ironing on the wax paper works.
Then you can apply it to the cake with Buttercream and it won't soak through.

bakingkat Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 8

I always spray my ribbon with my pan spray and then wipe it down with a paper towel. Never had a problem icon_smile.gif Just remember to let the clients know that you will be treating the ribbon and for it to be a little lighter than they want if you're having them pick out the ribbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%