Nice Sharp Fondant Edges

Decorating By jenlynnlmt Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm by mrsg1111

jenlynnlmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlynnlmt Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:00am
post #1 of 6

im doing a stacked drum cake.. im thinking of doing the technique of fondanting the sides then the top so its a crisp edge.. any ideas the best way to do this? sides first or top first or any thing lol..

5 replies
patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 6

i would do the sides first but when you it that way you will be left with a seam at the back of your cake, however it will give you a lovely neat edge good luck

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 6

Just wondering - if you ice the cake very smooth and get sharp edges on that and then let it harden in the fridge for a while, won't you get nice sharp edges with your fondant? (Just trying to see if it can save you a step!)

FerrariGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerrariGal Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 6

How about using ganache to cover your cake under the fondant? I too am working on getting sharp edges on my cakes, and so far using ganache has resulted in my best work. There are some good tutorials on you-tube if you look. HTH

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 6

There was just a thread a couple days ago about ganache where there was a video posted on how to do this. i'll look back post the link that they posted. It was very helpful and i can't wait to try it.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 6

the youtube site is
Part 1.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%