Help: Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 2:51pm by Pearl70

Pearl70 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:01am
post #1 of 8

what is the secret to getting the gumpaste flowers to stay on the wires?

7 replies
Mexx Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

Hi -

You need to use an appropriately sized wire...heavy flowers need a heavy guage wire. Secondly, you need to use a "glue" on the wire so that when it is inserted into the gumpaste the glue will dry and hold the wire in place. Egg white can be used just be certain you don't get it on an area that you want to colour with petal dust.

There are also comments on this site about gumpaste glue and how to make it. Never used it myself. Others will tell you that egg white can carry salmonella. In this case the egg white is "inside" the gumpaste and rarely will anyone ever eat a gumpaste flower, especially anywhere near where the wire stem is. Good luck.

srkmilklady Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:46am
post #3 of 8

I use edible glue and depending on what flowers I'm making I usually make a small hook on the end of the wire first, dip it into the glue and then make your flower. You do need to allow time for it to dry as well before using the flowers.

This is a video by Lorraine McKay showing the how to steps for making the edible glue.
http://www.howcast.com/videos/814-How-To-Make-Edible-Glue

Pearl70 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:47am
post #4 of 8

what about the wire that has the thread like coating is it better to use than reg. wire?

srkmilklady Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:51am
post #5 of 8

I always use paper covered wire when I make flowers. It helps the gumpaste to HOLD ON to the wire. But others may do it differently.

Pearl70 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 11:53am
post #6 of 8

thanks ladies, i will give it a try.

another question, how thin should i roll the gumpaste? I am having trouble getting the edges to soften so the have the ruffle look to a rose.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 8

When doing petals your petals really need to be pretty thin. Paper thin will give you the best and more realistic looking flowers.

Pearl70 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 8

thank you, i will go give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

When doing petals your petals really need to be pretty thin. Paper thin will give you the best and more realistic looking flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%