In my area there is no cake decorating stores but I was just told of one that is about 30 minutes from me in a different city. Well I just checked it out yesterday and it was great but as I was checking out their display case there was disco dust. I have never used it since you can't eat it but she saw me checking it out and brought a lot of colors out and started talking about it. She told me it was edible glitter and safe to eat. I did not want to say anything but I was so surprised she said this. She also just brought out some cake balls that were just made that had the dust on them. I had my two kids with me so they both got one, and they were great but still taken back by a store telling people it is food safe. I see cake shows all the time using this stuff and just don't understand it. Just thought I would share.
when they edible glitter, you can eat it and it will do you no harm as it is not absorbed by your body it just goes straight through, so technically it is non toxic and hence i suppose at a pinch edible, i do know where your coming from though, and it is annoying the other thing that gets me is you can buy a huge jar of non toxic craft glitter for pennies, but as soon as they put the word edible on the price goes up and the sie of jar goes down
Non toxic and edible are not the same thing.
Non toxic just means it shouldn't hurt you if you eat it (think elmer's glue) but it is not meant to be eaten.
While I have used some of the non toxic dusts on cakes, I just can't bring myself to use something that is pretty much just ground up plastic.
Personally I would have called the woman on the 'edible' part of it. But that's just me.
I Only use it on cake toppers like tiaras and shoes, and let people know it's decoration only.