Needing Help On The Construction Of A Mad Hatter's Cake.....

Decorating By Periperi Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 7:13am by pusskin

Periperi Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 8

A good friend of mine has asked me to make a mad hatter's cake (like in the new Alice in Wonderland movie). She wants it slightly tapered toward the bottom. Here's where I'm nervous. She loves my dark chocolate cake recipe (black magic). It's delicious but not very sturdy. Do I made the layers and then freeze and stack them so I can carve them? Then do I freeze it again before filling and crumb coating? Should I use ganache to crumb coat since it's sturdier? Any suggestions, tips, and ideas are welcome, thank you!!

7 replies
Periperi Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:49am
post #2 of 8

bump

cs_confections Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 8

This should help you: http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

Also, I'd recommend a sturdy recipe and I also recommend ganache. I've read too many stories about people's topsy turvy's falling apart! Good luck!

SarahL4683 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:21am
post #4 of 8

It's definitely much easier to carve a cake when it's cold, I don't freeze my cakes, but I do chill my cake layers in the fridge, then stack them and store stacked cakes in the fridge for a few hours (or overnight) wrapped in plastic. Then i carve and crumbcoat. I would be nervous about using a cake that isn't very sturdy though. You're talking about the topsy turvy cake right? Are there any substitutions you can make in your recipe to make it hold up a little better?

Periperi Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:24am
post #5 of 8

Thank you for the replies. No, I'm not doing topsy turvy.....just the mad hatter's hat from Alice and Wonderland. Where it's a little bit wider at the top of the hat than at the base. I'm thinking you're right, that I should use a sturdier recipe despite it not being quite as delectable as the other. I will definitely do a ganache crumb coat, should I put a dowel through the layers as well for extra strength?

SarahL4683 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:32am
post #6 of 8

I would definitely use some support if you're doing a tall cake. as for your recipe, maybe you can just tweak your current recipe, like substituting sour cream for milk makes a denser cake. I've done an all buttercream topsy turvy cake, a fondant and buttercream topsy turvy and a ganache and fondant topsy turvy and they've all worked so if I can do it on a 4 tier topsy turvy cake, you should be able to use whatever you like for a mad hatter hat cake. Although doing that cake without fondant made me more nervous than the others. hth

Periperi Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:43am
post #7 of 8

I will be covering it in fondant, just wasn't sure what to use as a crumb coat. Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions. I feel much better about doing this cake now. ♥

pusskin Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:13am
post #8 of 8

Presumably you will be building the height with layers. I haven't done carving with anyrhing except a maderia or equally heavy sponge so this may be a dumb idea but would it be possible to make the top layer of the cake she likes so much and the lower layers of a complimentary but sturdier recipe.

Yours aye
Puss

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%