Freezable Cake Fillings

Baking By tinkerbelle70 Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm by carmijok

tinkerbelle70 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 3

Please help. I am making my sisters wedding cake which is quite complicated and I need to have it finished and hidden before they arrive which is 4 days before the wedding. I really need a chocolate cake filling that is not terribly too sweet and will hold up to being frozen while i decorate and store it? Also the wedding is in 10 days so I dont have a lot of time to experiment !! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
dmo4ab Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 3

Buttercream freezes well.
I've also frozen the chocolate chip cookie dough, which is yummy and turned out well.

In that same cake a had a fudge filling, but it seemed to absorb into the cake a good bit once it was thawed.

I haven't tried this one frozen, but might soon. I think it will hold up well

Also, you can stir fruit jam or spread into your buttercream if you want a fruit flavored filling. Those should freeze well, also so it's base of buttercream.

HTH. Interested to see what other answers are given. I usually freeze my cakes stacked, but it's usually just buttercream. Will be good to have some more ideas!

carmijok Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 3

Use whipped chocolate ganache. It's not too sweet and freezes beautifully. I don't think it would absorb into the cake, but if you're concerned, just do a thin layer of BC before adding your filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%