Has Anyone Ordered Just A Smashcake?

Business By KimLynnC Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 7:38pm by MikeRowesHunny

KimLynnC Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 11

I had a women asking about ordering a cake to serve 35 people and a smashcake for her kids first bday. I gave her the price for the cake and I told her I would do a free smashcake. Then she suggested cupcakes and a smashcake, I gave her the price for the cupcakes and told her I would also throw in a free 4" smashcake.

Well apparently both of these options are out of her budget, so now she asks me what I would charge for just the smashcake. Which is fine with me, but I'm not sure what I would charge for a 4" smashcake. I can also offer her a 6" smashcake and charge per serving. I'm just not sure how many servings are in 4". Has anyone sold just a smashcake before?

10 replies
MerlotCook Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 11

I've never had anybody order just a smash cake, but for a decorated smash cake I would charge my minimum of $50. It still takes time to make, and then she may just place the entire order with you.

vgray Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 11

A friend of a friend asked me to do a smash cake for her niece, she didn't want anything fancy just icing on the cake cut like the number 1 . I told her I'd only do it if I could use a left over 4 inch I already had and leftover icing. Just a 4 inch isn't worth my time and money. I would end up spending more on the order than I would be able to bring in. I am charging her $10 for it.

caymancake Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 11

I wouldn't do it...I've stopped doing 6 inch cakes by themselves now - only with cupcakes or as a part of a tiered cake. I just found that all of the work involved for a 6 inch ended up with a loss, not a profit! I think a 4 inch serves 4 by the way...

kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 11

It certainly is NOT worth making just a 4" or 6" unless you are baking something else already.
If I didn't have any 4"ers on hand (usually not) I offered 6" single layer BUT....again only if already on hand. As for price - # of servings X your price........so for most of us that would be a mimimun of $18.

KimLynnC Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the advice. I think I may just charge her regular price for the 6" and tell her I don't sell 4" by itself because it would waste batter since I usually do them with leftover batter from the main cake. (I really don't want to do just a 4" cake, it would be a waste of my time unless she makes a bigger order with it). Thanks everyone for your help!

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 11

My cake minimum is $40.00 and my smash cakes are $35.00 so No..I do not offer a smash cake.Only in conjunction with a larger cake ordered.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 11

The smallest cake I will bake on it's own is a 8in cake. A 6in doesn't make much money, and I have left over batter. Yes I can freeze it or bake and freeze it. But I have limited freezer space, and I don't get requests for small cakes often, so it's likely to get freezer burnt before I need it again.

KoryAK Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 11

Hell no! lol

What is your minimum order? She will need to pay at least that.

cakestyles Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 11

I have a minimum $100 order (9" is my smallest allowed).

MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 11

Nope, I also have a $100 and 24 serving minimum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%