Ice Cream Cone Cuppies - How To Bake

Baking By sweetideas Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 5:28pm by sweetideas

sweetideas Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 12

I have never done ice cream cone cuppies...can you tell me is there a big difference in how they are baked? One website says to line muffin pans with liners and put the cones on top upside down, but I thought I could just fill the flat bottomed cone with batter and bake like a cupcake?

Thanks for your help!

11 replies
SweetSuzieQ Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 12

When I did mine, I put thr batter right in to flat bottom cones, lined them on a cookie sheet and baked as usual.

They tasted great and everyone loved them however, if I were to do these again, I would assemble them in the cone after the fact for a few reasons:

A) to be able to put candy or some other weight in the bottom so thEy don't fall over as easily

B) so I could layer cake/frosting inside the cone as when I was eating it, I found I woulda liked some frosting to go with my cake/cone when I got to the bottom.

sweetideas Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for your response--that makes sense. Seems to me like idea of putting the cone upside down on top would leave them top heavy, but I don't know. If it wasn't 100 degrees in my house I would experiment with baking them different ways. I wasn't sure if putting the batter in the cone first left them burnt on the bottom or something. Thanks again for responding, I appreciate your advice.

Tea42 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 12

The last time I did this the cones were on the tough side. I bake with batter in the cone right side up. I cannot vision how you would get the batter to stay inside the cone by doing it upside down.

I do love the idea of the 'ice cream cone cupcakes'.

southerncross Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 12

I'm standing on the sidelines hoping for someone to post a tutorial on this subject. I've been making a lot of hi top cupcakes this summer and now would like to bake the cupcake in a cone so that it resembles a Dairy Queen cone dipped in chocolate.

Sam_paggers Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 12

I am also curious as i thought the cones would go stale/soggy, generally unpleasent... am interested to have a go!! x

Crazboutcakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 12

I have never done them myself, so if I had to take what all of you have said and used the square bottom cones placing some gummies in the bottom (for a treat at the end) filling them and once baked and cooled would fill them with a long cake tip (not sure what size it is) this way you'd have icing through out and then decorating as you'd like. Seeing that you've all tried making them and they come out better up right, That's what I'd do to trouble shoot the issues. just my opion icon_smile.gif

SweetSuzieQ Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 12

The gummies might melt if you bake them. What I was suggesting was to bake the cupcake regular, without the cone and then putting gummies at the bottom of the cone and, utting the baked cake in the cone and icing. There is a tutorial I believe on YouTube but, I don't have the link. I bet if googled, it would come up.

traci_doodle Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 12

I made them a couple of times, but it's been a while. I baked them upright with the flat-bottom cones and put each cone in a muffin tin. I didn't have any problems with them tipping over, I was just very careful and moved slowly when I put them in and out of the oven. The cones didn't get soggy. The only problem I had was I put in too much batter and the batter that was extra dripped down the side of the cone and that part of the cone got soggy. So be careful not to over-fill. If I remember right, I filled the batter up to where the cone suddenly gets bigger and that was just a little too much. They look super cute with a swirl of buttercream to look like whipped cream and drizzled with ganache "hot fudge". Finish off with colored jimmies. I then put it in a 9 oz plastic cocktail cup filled with candy to support the cone. You can see it in my photos.

sweetideas Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I have never done them myself, so if I had to take what all of you have said and used the square bottom cones placing some gummies in the bottom (for a treat at the end) filling them and once baked and cooled would fill them with a long cake tip (not sure what size it is) this way you'd have icing through out and then decorating as you'd like. Seeing that you've all tried making them and they come out better up right, That's what I'd do to trouble shoot the issues. just my opion icon_smile.gif

I like the idea of filling the cupcake, I have that tube already, and had not thought of that.

sweetideas Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

I made them a couple of times, but it's been a while. I baked them upright with the flat-bottom cones and put each cone in a muffin tin. I didn't have any problems with them tipping over, I was just very careful and moved slowly when I put them in and out of the oven. The cones didn't get soggy. The only problem I had was I put in too much batter and the batter that was extra dripped down the side of the cone and that part of the cone got soggy. So be careful not to over-fill. If I remember right, I filled the batter up to where the cone suddenly gets bigger and that was just a little too much. They look super cute with a swirl of buttercream to look like whipped cream and drizzled with ganache "hot fudge". Finish off with colored jimmies. I then put it in a 9 oz plastic cocktail cup filled with candy to support the cone. You can see it in my photos.

Thanks, I checked out your photo and it is perfect for what I am looking for. They are for my son's VBS the theme is SonAdventure so they are going with Amusement park themes and I thought this was cute. Thanks you all--you each contributed a lot of information, that's why I love this place. icon_smile.gif

sweetideas Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea42

The last time I did this the cones were on the tough side. I bake with batter in the cone right side up. I cannot vision how you would get the batter to stay inside the cone by doing it upside down.

I do love the idea of the 'ice cream cone cupcakes'.

I found the idea of upside down cones on the Betty Crocker website...you make a normal cupcake, then squish the cone down on top so when it bakes, it fills it--I am guessing. But I was thinking this would mean a flat top when you pull them out and take the wrapper off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%