When Filling A Cake With A Fruit - Strawberries Specifically

Baking By ylil Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 12:49pm by ylil

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:57am
post #1 of 5

Is there anything I can do to keep them from weeping/leaking?
thank you!

lily

4 replies
jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 5

I learned here on CC to pipe a "dam" around the edge of your cake before filling.....I always make some of my buttercream really stiff by adding powdered sugar...then just cut the end off of a piping bag and pipe around the edge....usually stiff enough to keep anything from leaking out.

MellieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MellieC Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 5

As Jessica does, I also pipe a 'dam' around the cake.
I use the inside of the coupler in my bag and no tip and just pipe a big round 'dam' around the cake.
Hope it helps!

M.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 5

Fresh strawberries have a lot of water in them and will leak and start to get mushy and spoil quickly.

That said, a fresh strawberry dessert should be eaten quickly after preparation.

To minimize damage from a weeping berry, the berries can be glazed with a jam. You can melt some strawberry jam or make your own. This can then be used to coat all of the berries and sort of seal them.

This melted jam can also be used to brush on the cake. It doesn't soak in much because it is thick. It prevents the cake from getting soggy.

Also, dip or paint any berries that would be on top of the cake for display. It gives them a wet look and keeps them from drying out and looking unappetizing.

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 5

I will definitely use a buttercream dam, and I had never heard the tip about the jam...wonderful - will use that also!!

Thanks again!!

Lily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%