Fondant In This Humidity... Please Help!

Decorating By DessertsByLauren Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 6:13am by DessertsByLauren

DessertsByLauren Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:02am
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone. So a few weeks ago I made a 3 tiered engagement cake and when I covered the cake in fondant the fondant pulled away and formed these ginormous bubbles and I had to peel it all off and start again.

Fast forward a few weeks and I made my daughters first birthday cake. It was 104. I kept the air on, but refused to put the cake in the fridge in fear of the fondant doing that bubble thing again.

So now this week I am working on a champagne bucket cake and the filling is to be chocolate pastry cream with bananas and strawberries. I have no idea what to do. For starters, I usually use Satin Ice fondant because it's readily available. I was thinking about making some MMF and hoping that that will help solve this issue. I've made MMF before and I admit, i'm not very good at working with it, but I'm willing to try if it will help me be able to refrigerate the cake until pick up.

Can anyone please give me any advice on working with fondant cakes in high heat and humidity. Thanks a million!

8 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:22am
post #2 of 9

Ouch! For starters, what temperature is it in your kitchen?

Generally if your fondant bubbles it's because your layers have not settled. As they do, they push out air under your fondant. Make sure you compress your layers, I tort, fill, crumb coat, lay a sheet of parchment on top, then lay either a cake board or a cookie sheet on top of that, then evenly distribute some weight on it, like a bag of sugar. Then I pop in the fridge to set up. Then cover in fondant.

You should have zero problems putting your fondant-covered cake in the fridge.

Good luck!

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:40am
post #3 of 9

You can get the bubbles like that from the heat causing the buttercream underneath the fondant to melt and fall away from the cake. Using an all shortening buttercream helps with that.

If you're doing a chocolate pastry cream, strawberry and banana filling, you're going to have to put that cake in the fridge.

I use MMF and put it in the fridge with no problems...my AC is always set to 72 and I do get some condensation on the cake as it comes to room temp, but no bubbling issues. I also chill the cake before I put the fondant on. If I have the AC set to 75, I seem to have more problems with cakes.

MMF is harder to work with in heat and humidity. It's softer and more tempermental. You can usually get it to behave by adding a little bit of tylose when you make it, but if you're not used to working with MMF, then working with it in hot weather for a cake for someone else is not the best of plans.

DessertsByLauren Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm gonna go with the MMF and add a bit of tylose if I have to. My AC stays on high, set to 60º, but since it's cooling the living room, dining room and kitchen, it never gets "cold" in my opinion. Especially after baking since the oven makes it hotter. What I think i'll do is bake the cakes at my mom's since she lives across the hall from me so my oven doesn't have to go on and then do all the decorating here.

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate it!

crumbcake Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 9

What causes the fondant to bubble as you roll it out? Even before putting on the cake. I have the AC on, on oven going, and had bubbles in the rolling process.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 9

Try Massa Tropical fondant - it's made specifically to be used in hot/humid conditions. It can also be rolled super thin, so the weight of the fondant on the cake is not an issue.

DessertsByLauren Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:50am
post #7 of 9

I get bubbles in the rolling process sometimes too. I find if I kneed it too much, that's what causes bubbles. The less I work it, the better it works. Tomorrow I will be trying out Michelle Foster's fondant recipe. Hoping not to have any issues with it.

I'd love to try Massa fondant, but it's way too expensive! Not only that, but they don't sell it by me. I need it by tomorrow.

FromScratchSF Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:40am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Try Massa Tropical fondant - it's made specifically to be used in hot/humid conditions. It can also be rolled super thin, so the weight of the fondant on the cake is not an issue.

So here's some bad news I just got from my food distributer today - according to them, Carma might be pulling out of the US market entirely. They are still sending Masa Ticino for now, but have made most of their other products unavailable in the US. I hope they are lying to me or don't know what they are talking about.

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif infinity!

It's the only fondant I use.

Jen

DessertsByLauren Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:13am
post #9 of 9

What distributer do you use? I wouldn't even know where to order it from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%