Royal Icing/floodwork?

Decorating By markandjacksmum Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 10:02pm by Allie06

markandjacksmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markandjacksmum Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:28am
post #1 of 11

A friend stumbled across this cake from a fellow CC-er

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1517714/1517720

and has asked me to make something similar for her daughters birthday, however this one is done as FBCT and I'd prefer to use royal icing and transfer it over. The problem is - I've never done anything of the sort icon_wink.gif

So, is there somewhere on here that shows a tutorial on building up a multicolour picture step by step?
Do I fill in first and outline later? Or vice versa?
Do I need to let the colours set in between moving on to the next colour? Or din this case do I need red, yellow, and black icing ready to go all at once?[/url]

10 replies
sunnyca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnyca Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:52am
post #2 of 11

On a flat surface tape a copy of the picture and then tape a piece of parchment paper on top of that so you can see the original picture through it. Trace the outline in thick icing first, let it dry and then thin out the icing to do the flooding. Do one color at a time and let it dry before doing the next one. Always make two or more pieces since there is the chance of breakage.
Hope this helps.

sunnyca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnyca Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:54am
post #3 of 11

Last thing I forgot to add was do these a few days in advance to let it have time to dry. when you are trying to remove it off the parchment paper, keep the paper on the edge of a table and peel the paper from under the RI image slowly.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:58am
post #4 of 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgkwX-uOK4c&feature=BFa&list=FLsu1X04X7L9E&index=1

Same idea, and will tell you the basics on using this technique.

Good luck!

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:06am
post #5 of 11

Everyone covered the how to part, I just had to add - I'm very very new to all of this and this is really the only thing (I think) I can do really good, so I have no doubt in my mind you can do it! What I do when I'm piping the thick icing, I keep a toothpick near by and if I go out of the line or mess up, I use the toothpick to correct it really quick. You just have to be quick about it so you don't break it since it begins hardening fairly quickly! Good luck, here's my newest ones that I did for a cake this friday, along with an Eiffel tower which I haven't uploaded yet.

markandjacksmum Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:21am
post #6 of 11

Thanks so muchladies icon_biggrin.gif
I can't work out how to upload a picture to show you what I've done so far.
Ive taped my pic and have practiced by outlining it all in black.
I just wasnt sure how it would all 'set' together as one piece if each colour dries separately?

I'm now going to outline and fill in the colours of this one I have going atm, ad if it works and successfully peels off after a week I'll do the same and make 2 or 3 more icon_smile.gif

markandjacksmum Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:29am
post #7 of 11

Another silly question - should I pipe the black lines last?

ATL_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATL_Cakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 11

Pipe the black outlines first, then wait a day or two to fill in the orange and red. When it drys it will stick to the black outline.

Can't wait to see your cake! Good luck icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 11

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Color-Flow

These directions work with royal icing as well. icon_smile.gif

markandjacksmum Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all so much (again)

I'm a bit excited now because I *think* I can do it icon_smile.gif
I'll definately post a pic once the cake is done (in September)

Love this forum so much - perfect for a newbie cake-o like me icon_biggrin.gif

Allie06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allie06 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 11

You have to check out Sweetopia...She is actually a fellow CCer, and her skill with royal is completely eye catching. Also she posts really really informative blogs that help with the little things, like color bleeding, and outlining questions! Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%