How Long Will Naked Cake Stay Fresh?

Decorating By zespri Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 6:44am by Dewey_Durden

zespri Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:29am
post #1 of 9

Hi there

I am planning on making some cake that won't be iced (it will be sugared instead). Due to time constraints I'd like to make it a three or four days in advance. I know if you ice a cake promptly it will seal in the freshness. But what happens if it's not iced, how long have I got before it tastes stale? They will be small cakes too, made from the Wilton mini ball pan. So maybe 3" in diameter.

Should I wrap each ball individually in plastic wrap and put it in an airtight container then into the fridge.... or will that not be enough to keep them fresh? Am I going to have to freeze them?

8 replies
cakification Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:10am
post #2 of 9

IMO, yes freezing them would be best. But wrapping them really good and leaving them on the counter ( not in the fridge ) would be the next best thing.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 9

As long as a cake is wrapped well it should hold up fine for a few days. That is why the icing helps, because it prevents air from getting to the actual cake. Wrapping them in plastic wrap really well then putting them in a ziplock or air tight container should be fine.

I wouldn't put them in the fridge, and since I don't have freezer room, that wouldn't be an option for me either.

zespri Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 9

Do you think the same rule applies for such tiny cakes though? Cuppies only last a day or so before they are past their best, I figured the same for the little balls...?

carmijok Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 9

I would wrap and freeze. If they aren't protected by a moist buttercream layer, I don't think they'd taste as fresh coming out of the refrigerator, wrapped or not.

SugarBunz123 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:31am
post #6 of 9

But can you ice them with buttercream then freeze them? If so how long will they keep in the freezer? I need to make 90 mini cakes for my wedding in March 2012.

Cheers icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:07am
post #7 of 9

Invest in an ice chest and empty all food out of your freezer! When your cakes come out of the oven put them in the freezer, let them get mostly frozen, then double-wrap in plastic. Air is your enemy with freezer burn, so I don't suggest ziplock bags.

I've never frozen iced cake, but I've frozen cake and frozen buttercream. Don't know if I'd freeze them together.

PS, has anyone told you making 90 mini cakes for your OWN wedding is slightly insane? icon_biggrin.gif

zespri Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:14am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

PS, has anyone told you making 90 mini cakes for your OWN wedding is slightly insane? icon_biggrin.gif

agreed! there was an episode of amazing wedding cakes where they made mini wedding cakes. They got in all the interns they could find, and STILL worked their butts off to get them done. At the end they said they'd never do it again unless you were charging heaps and heaps next time.

Dewey_Durden Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:44am
post #9 of 9

As soon as the cakes come out of the oven and cooled enough to pop them out of the pans, wrap them in cling wrap good and tight and put immediately in the freezer. The condensation that comes from the hot cake being wrapped ensures the cake is moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%