Ap Flour Vs Cake Flour / Velvet Cake Flour

Baking By augurey Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm by leah_s

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:42am
post #1 of 4

I see a lot of mention of cake flour in recipes (and in posts).

What exactly is the difference between AP Flour and Cake Flour?

I also notice that is mentioned that if if cake flour is being used instead of ap flour (when noted in a recipe) to always add the amount of the ap flour + 2 TBSP.

Is this always the case when substituting?

And when using ap flour instead of cake flour, it's always minus 2 TBSP ap flour + 2 TBSP corn starch?

And if this conversion holds true, can these two types of flour be substituted in any recipe as long as you make the conversion?

Also, I was at a Dutch store in the area and they sell a lot of baking ingredients. During my scout of everything they have, I didn't see that they had regular cake flour, but it was labeled Velvet Cake Flour.

Has anyone heard of this? Is this the same as regular cake flour? If not, what is the difference of regular cake flour and velvet cake flour? I tried googling it, but I just ended up with a lot of red velvet cake results.

3 replies
Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 4

A lot of good questions. Id like to know the answers myself.... (its so hard getting answers on this sight)

dzh115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dzh115 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 4

The difference between AP flour and Cake flour is the protein content. AP flour has around 10% protein while Cake flour has a lower content, around 8%. In a cake, the lower protein content yields a more tender cake with a finer crumb.

The substitution of AP flour minus 2 tbs plus 2tbs of cornstarch yield a protein level very similar to that of cake flour while keeping the amount of flour constant. I have used this substitution with good results whenever I run out of cake flour. Also, the White Lily AP flour has a low protein content, very close to cake flour. This would be a good straight substitute. To help keep costs down I have started using this instead of buying the small 2lb boxes of cake flour.

Hope this helps!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 4

Velvet is a brand of cake flour. It's a high ratio flour. I've been using it for years. I buy it in 50# bags. I can't remember the price, but it's probably less than $25. Maybe less than $20.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%