Supermarket Birthday Cake Icing

Decorating By sugarmommy83 Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 2:09pm by Kiddiekakes

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 12

Hello all,
I am going to attemp to make a mickey mouse clubhouse bday cake for my son's party this weekend and my husband is begging me to fill it/ice it with the stuff they use to ice cakes in the supermarket. He LOVES that kind of icing.I will still cover it in fondant cause i know it will look best but he wants me to fill it with that icing. The only problem is that i have no idea how they make it and everytime i ask one of the decorators in the bakery they either say they dont really know, or they say its just buttercream. i know how to make buttercream thanks, but its never the same as that lighter almost whip cream icing they make!!!! do they just add more water? Can somebody HELP PLEASE!!! I think my buttercream is pretty good and havent received any complaints, its just that he only likes my version and LOVES theirs!!!!! If anyone out there has a recipe and is willing to share it with me i would really appreciate it! Cake decorating is just a hobby and a passion for me, i dont run a cake business, i just like looking at beautiful cakes and enjoy making them myself even more!

11 replies
ashleyisawesome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyisawesome Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:06am
post #2 of 12

I've heard that Sam's will sell buckets of their icing. I think usually supermarkets order their buttercream. I don't believe they make it.

sugarmommy83 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:14am
post #3 of 12

thank you, unfortunately we dont have any sams clubs anymore here in ontario where i live! I have seen them make it at the metro supermarket but they were very tight lipped about the recipe when i asked! Oh well, i will have to figure something else out! Thanks again!

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:22am
post #4 of 12

its a whipped frosting that you buy frozen. when you are ready to use it then you thaw it and whip it with the mixer. bettercreme is a good one but i believe that sam's uses the brand that Dawn sells

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:30am
post #5 of 12

Have you tried asking at Walmart as they probably use the Sam's frosting?

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:59am
post #6 of 12

If there is a store that you like the frosting at, ask them to sell you some. Sometimes I just buy frosting or un-iced cakes or even a cake box from the store.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:40am
post #7 of 12

Please tell Hubby that the icing he loves is called Bettercreme and it has no natural products in it - it's chemically based. I attended an ICES program where a Bettercreme rep laughed when we asked what's in it. He said it's all man made so no mater how hard you tried at home, you'd never be able to make it. Like the others - search your frozen foods department for cartons of Bettercream or learn to make Italian Meringue buttercream - it's luscious and made with ingredients found in most kitchens.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:00am
post #8 of 12

It's funny how everyone's taste are different. I pretty much bake from scratch and, make an AMAZING lemon cake with a whipped frosting. Well, one day, I made cupcakes for the kids using boxed lemon. I didn't doctor it, I just whipped it up quick as is. Well, didn't my hubby RAVE about them and, when I told him it was from a box, he said, "well, can you make it taste like this from scratch?" Hahaha uhhhhh. So, he "likes" my lemon cake but, LOVES the box stuff. Go figure.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:17am
post #9 of 12

At publix supermarket they use a shortening based buttercream, (I would compare it to wiltons class recipe) They add simple syrup to it and whip it for like 8 minutes. It looks super white and very airy. It looks almost like whipped cream.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:48am
post #10 of 12

Some store witll sell it to u.. just ask them.. Before I started baking I used to go to our local super market (Winn Dixie) and ask to buy some... They usually had no prob in doing it

sugarmommy83 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks again to all of you for your helpful hints! I have wanted to try that italian buttercream but does anyone know how long its good for, at room temp, in the fridge etc. Can i leave the cake out at room temp with that kind of icing?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 12

Dawn foods here in Calgary sells a similiar whipped icing like Rich's Bettercream only they call it something else...You buy it in a big tub/pail and thaw it and whip it...I have never ordered it although I have a Dawn foods account and order all my icing sugar and fondnat through them.It is quite expensive and I don't want to get a pail of it and find out it is yucky...I have a great recipe I use on all my cakes ..WBH and that is what my customers come to expect so "Why mess with a good thing" I say.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%