tigachu Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:59pm

Thank you so much for the tutorial!! I will try this next time, for sure icon_smile.gif

Ivy383 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:47am

Awesome! Thanks fior sharing icon_smile.gif

krumbledkakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:12am

Nice! Ty for sharing, trying this tonight icon_wink.gif

mplaidgirl2 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:31am

Gonna try thiis next cake. Thanks

Mikel79 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:52pm

You are welcome !!!

=)

Glad to help out!

Michael
thumbs_up.gif

Kellbella Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:07pm

This is why I LOVE CAKE CENTRAL!!!! Sooo many great tips from everyone. Thanks Mikel thumbs_up.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:21pm

Great photos and tutorial! Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

momsgoodies Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:28pm

Congratulations. I do the same thing but with good quality aluminium foil with my 3" pans. I cut the aluminium foil for the sides of 4 1/2" height and did not use any on the bottom of the pan. Fill the pan with the batter up at its border (3"'). The additional 1 1/2" inches of the aluminium foil works as a "continuation/wall" of the pan and I get a 4" inches high cake when done. You can do this with any pan no matter its height and get a cake with an additional inch higher.

vivkay Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:14pm

Thanks!!!!You are an answered prayer!!!

Mikel79 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:02am
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsgoodies

Congratulations. I do the same thing but with good quality aluminium foil with my 3" pans. I cut the aluminium foil for the sides of 4 1/2" height and did not use any on the bottom of the pan. Fill the pan with the batter up at its border (3"'). The additional 1 1/2" inches of the aluminium foil works as a "continuation/wall" of the pan and I get a 4" inches high cake when done. You can do this with any pan no matter its height and get a cake with an additional inch higher.




Thanks for the alum. foil tip! Didn't think you can do it with that.

Michael

Coral3 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:49am

And here I've been all this time assuming that everyone lines their cake tins with parchment, making a collar in the process...I never knew 'muffin top' was an issue. icon_rolleyes.gif

I just want to add that it really doesn't matter how high above the tin the collar reaches, mine are however high they end up...anything from one inch up to three inches (the only thing I worry about in terms of the collar height is making sure it's not touching the top element in my oven...don't want my cake catching fire! icon_biggrin.gif )

jewordsoflife Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:26am

THANKS!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mikel79 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:07pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

And here I've been all this time assuming that everyone lines their cake tins with parchment, making a collar in the process...I never knew 'muffin top' was an issue. icon_rolleyes.gif

I just want to add that it really doesn't matter how high above the tin the collar reaches, mine are however high they end up...anything from one inch up to three inches (the only thing I worry about in terms of the collar height is making sure it's not touching the top element in my oven...don't want my cake catching fire! icon_biggrin.gif )




Thank you for the input!

Michael
=)

thecakeprincess Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:26pm

Thanks for the info!

pummy Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:34pm

Good stuff, will try. Thanks!

Mikel79 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:25pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakeprincess

Thanks for the info!




UR Welcome!

sgalvan62 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:18am

Thank You!! i've had the same problem thought oh well guess thats just what i get when i bake icon_redface.gif , now i have to try this! so excited to bake!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

bakingnewbie Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:41am

Good morning all,

First of all, I apologise if my question seems silly, but I am a complete newbie to baking!

May I ask Mikel79, what are the "prongs" sticking out of your cake mixture? Is this something I should be using?

Many thanks

Claire138 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:02am

Thanks for the tip and the tutorial, I'm a visual learner so this really helps.

Mikel79 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 1:00pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingnewbie

Good morning all,

First of all, I apologise if my question seems silly, but I am a complete newbie to baking!

May I ask Mikel79, what are the "prongs" sticking out of your cake mixture? Is this something I should be using?

Many thanks




They are flower nails, upside down. They act as a heating core for cakes. Helps bake the middle evenly with the edges.

HTH
Michael

bakerliz Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:37pm

I just wanted to say Thank You for posting this!!! My cakes bake up almost perfectly level and I don't get a lip, so I never thought I had a problem. For some reason (my compulsion to try new things?) I decided to try this. With the same amount of batter and the exact same recipe, I got an extra 1/2 inch of height on my cake!! icon_surprised.gif I had no idea what I was missing! I love this method and will be doing it on all of my cakes. I grabbed my box of parchment and a paper cutter and went to town. I cut the whole box into 3 inch strips and put them right back in the box for easy access! Thank you again!

Mikel79 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:08am
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerliz

I just wanted to say Thank You for posting this!!! My cakes bake up almost perfectly level and I don't get a lip, so I never thought I had a problem. For some reason (my compulsion to try new things?) I decided to try this. With the same amount of batter and the exact same recipe, I got an extra 1/2 inch of height on my cake!! icon_surprised.gif I had no idea what I was missing! I love this method and will be doing it on all of my cakes. I grabbed my box of parchment and a paper cutter and went to town. I cut the whole box into 3 inch strips and put them right back in the box for easy access! Thank you again!




This is AWESOME!! I am so glad to read this. I really am pleased that this is helping some of you out!

Michael

=)

jewordsoflife Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:22pm

I was so excited to try this, unfortunately I still didn't get a 2in cake icon_sad.gif It might be the new recipe that I was trying for the first time, but I did fill my 6in cake pan quite full, at least 2/3rds of the way full. I will say however, I didn't have a lip icon_smile.gif Love that! So I'm going to be trying this method with my other cakes. I feel confident that I'll have great results! Thanks again icon_smile.gif

knlcox Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:12pm

I can't belive I never came across this tip in all of my cake researching! It's a perfect tip! Thank you!!

Mikel79 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 9:22pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewordsoflife

I was so excited to try this, unfortunately I still didn't get a 2in cake icon_sad.gif It might be the new recipe that I was trying for the first time, but I did fill my 6in cake pan quite full, at least 2/3rds of the way full. I will say however, I didn't have a lip icon_smile.gif Love that! So I'm going to be trying this method with my other cakes. I feel confident that I'll have great results! Thanks again icon_smile.gif




I hate to hear this. When I fill my cake pans, I only leave about 1/2" empty space for the batter to rise. Are you filling it that much?

Mikel79 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:01am

Hi Cakers!

Well, I tried the square pan collaring technique this past weekend. I shot a few pictures for yall in hopes this will help. Let me first say, a square pan is much different for some reason than a round. Oh yea, please read my disclaimer at the besieging of this thread! =)



First, start out with your supplies. Notice how my parchment strips are curled over? Keep this in mind for later. I believe this is why I was having problems. Cut 4 strips for each side. Also, cut a piece for the bottom. This pan is 2. Make your strip 2 ½ tall. This is VERY important. You do NOT want your strip to be too tall

Image


Spray the bottom and sides of the square pan with Baking spray. Lay your bottom parchment paper first. Attach the side strips. Spray the back of your strips first with baking spray. This will help them adhere. If you look closely, you will see that my strips would not want to adhere completely to the sides. Especially the corners. Urghhhhhh! I think this is because the parchment paper was curled. Parchment comes on rolls. I dont think helps us when lining square pans. However, there is hope come later

Image


Pour your batter in the pan. Take some left over batter and place it on the back of the parchment strips. This really adheres the paper to the sides well. Take a look at how better the strips look

Image




Please excuse the poor lighting on this next pic. Bake as normal and take out to cool. Notice how the longer side strip pulled up as the cake raised. This cause my parchment strips to fall over a little. Dont worry about this! My cake still did not bake completely of the lip of the pan!!!! Whoop Whoop!! Wow, look at that huge dome. Oh no, am I going to get 2??????Stay tuned

Image




Level your cake as normal. Take a look at this folks..


Image


2 of cake!! Thank God. I was really worried about this one. I think the next time I do this; I will flatten my strips out overnight so that they are not curled. I really think this is why I had a problem with them sticking to the pans.

If you would like to see the finished caked, go to Life Celebrations tab. Look for GODZILLA !!!!!

HTH someone

Michael
=)

Here is the finished product.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2141013

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%