What Are Best Dvds To Invest In For Cake Decorating

Decorating By sewsugarqueen Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 1:50pm by sabre

sewsugarqueen Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 16

In your opinion what are the best dvds to purchase for a novice cake decorater? Won't be going anywhere for a while due to family member illness so I thought of buying some dvds to watch and work on my skills. Would appreciate any thoughts on what you found really helpful

15 replies
metria Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 16

if you're interested in carving, Mike McCarey's Cakenology Car Cakes is excellent, and not just for cars. Very applicable to different 3D cakes.

http://www.cakenology.com/

momg9 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 16

Sharon Zambito's are great! She is sugarshack here on CC and her web-site is:

http://www.sugaredproductions.com

sabre Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 16

Nicholas Lodge has great DVDs. nicholaslodge.com

tiptop57 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 16

And Jennifer Dontz she is also a member and her website is http://jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd001

Then ther is Nicholas Lodge at http://www.nicholaslodge.com/

They are both reasonably price and excellent for different reasons.

dcarylmk Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 16

I love Jennifer Dontz dvds. All of them! icon_biggrin.gif Highly recommend them.

debbief Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 16

Have to add my 2 cents. I just ordered the Vol. One Sugar Flowers DVD from Jennifer Dontz. I actually ordered the package that comes with the cutters and tools needed to make the roses in the DVD. I haven't had time to watch the whole thing but have to say I LOVE what I've seen so far (and here I thought I could learn everything I needed to know on youtube). She is so thorough and explains everything so well. I can't wait until I have time to actually sit down and make some of those beautiful roses.

Oh and not that this is a huge selling point, but each item in the package was individually wrapped in pretty flowered tissue paper. It was like I just received a present icon_smile.gif . It was really cute. Just shows her excellent attention to detail and level of customer service. I'm sure I will order more DVD's from her in the future.

cordelia17 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 16

I have most of Sharon Zambito's dvds and they are all excellent. Sharon is great at going over everything step by step in real time. If you want to work on basic skills such as frosting a cake perfectly or applying fondant, you should look into her Perfecting the art of Buttercream and Flawless Fondant DVDs.

chrissypie Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 16

I totally agree! Sharon Zambito's videos are amazing! And I love that she sells all the tools that you need for her videos and they are very reasonably priced.

knlcox Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 16

Edna DeLaCruz has a few great videos out there. I know she has some tutorials on her site www.designmeacake.com and you can also see them on youtube. I have 3 of her dvd's and I have learned so much from them! She's an excellent teacher! Just my opinion!

josefina20 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 16

I have These ones and they are super.

Sharon Zambito
Nicholas Lodge
Jennifer Dontz
Edna de la Cruz
Auntumn Carpenter(how to chocolate Transfer)
Cake Genie (Buttercream Flowers)

i would love Cake by Design, but i have not been able to afford it yet.

cordelia17 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 16

Sabre and tiptop57, what dvds by Nicholas Lodge do you all have? I have been thinking about getting the patchwork cutters dvd but have been wondering about what kinds of projects are demonstrated.

tiptop57 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:16pm
post #13 of 16

cordelia17

I own the following Nicholas Lodge's DVD's:

Gardenia & Peony
Bearded Iris and Southern Magnolia
French Style Decorating
Bird of Paradise and Hibicus

You can see I have quite a few and it is my plan to buy the others available so I highly recommend him.

Edited: As I can't spell

sewsugarqueen Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:29pm
post #14 of 16

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I think I will reward myself with getting a few dvds at a time. I will watch it with the person I am taking care of.. Should help pass the time in a happy mood.

I love you people for all your great advice and info!!!!!

Sam_paggers Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:39pm
post #15 of 16

if there are any uk people lurking here. can you recommend where to buy dvds in uk?
i would love sharon Zambito's DVD's but postage is as much as the product icon_sad.gif

also, has anyone subscribed to 'my cake school' with the online videos? I am thinking about it- but would be nice to find reviews first icon_smile.gif

x

sabre Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 16

cordelia 17

I really like "Gumpaste Filler Flowers" (2009) and "Gumpaste Hydrangea and Sunflower" (2007) by Nicholas. I don't have the patchwork cutters DVD. "Gumpaste Roses and Wedding Cake" (2006) shows various techniques, including patchwork cutters. You can call International Sugar Arts for more information (his staff is very helpful). [/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%