Covering Cake Balls With Choc... Help:(

Decorating By Cupcake615 Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 11:40pm by MrsL

Cupcake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcake615 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 10

I use the Wilton candy melts and typically my Wilton candy melter, but the chocolate never gets liquidy enough to pour over anything. I tried the microwave method and same thickness. It never got any thinner and then it finally burned (baaad smell). I always see people post or make these beautifully smooth cake balls, and I dont know how they do it. Help!! icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 10

I too use the Wilton candy melts, but thin them out by adding crisco or vegetable oil to it. its always too thick without adding something to it for working with cake balls. I also only melt the candy "most" of the way and then stir it when I add the crisco/vegetable oil... the heat from the ones that are fully melted will melt the rest of them, and then I know it won't burn.
good luck!

ilovefondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovefondant Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 10

you just have to put a little chrisco or you can purchase some crystals at your favorite cake supply store I think they are called paraphin or something to that just ask at your cake supplier they should know

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 10

They are called paramount crystals, and you can get them online or at a cake shop. I like them, they melt quickly and make your chocolate smooth and thin.

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Paramount-Crystals/dp/B0008DIicon_eek.gifY

You can probably find other sites with cheaper prices, but at least you can see the product. HTH

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 10

How do you attach the ball to the sticks securely?? Is there a trick so they don't twirl while applying chocolate ? TFH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 10

Dip the stick in chocolate and put that into the cake ball and allow it to set up. Then dip the whole thing in chocolate.

jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 10

you "glue" the sticks in with a little chocolate and let it dry before you dip the whole thing in the chocolate. Just dip the sticks in chocolate and stick in the cake ball.

liverpoolcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liverpoolcupcake Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 10

Ive had the same problem .. the candy melts dont melt enough in the microwave... i ended up with crumb in the candy melt even thou i had chilled the cake balls... why is it other people get theirs perfect????? mine taste great. but need loads of sprinkles to cover the mess ha ha ha

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 10

TexasSugar, thanks so much- you are always so quick to share, love that about you!! thnks everyone

MrsL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsL Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 10

I always had problems with candy melts as well. I switched to using almond bark to cover my cakepops and haven't looked back! They cover so much smoother and easier. I had almost sworn off cakepops before I discovered this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%