Can Buttercream Crust Too Much?

Decorating By AmbitiousBeginner Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm by AmbitiousBeginner

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 4

So I still haven't been able to make my bc smooth. I tried the VIVA method, but as soon as I put any pressure on the bc, it cracked. It looked like cracked desert floor. Did I let it sit too long (about two hours)? Or was the bc too stiff? I had used the cream cheese bc before and it didn't crust so I added extra powdered sugar this time?

I've watched you tube videos on the VIVA method and the bc was perfectly smooth. Should I be using specific bc recipe?

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

3 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 4

Yes it can definitely crust too much. You get to a point of no return with BC I think.

If there is not enough liquid in the icing it will be too thick and it will definitely crack. You need to make sure it's thin enough to spread without being too mushy and sliding off the cake. You shouldn't have to really work to get it to spread and if you're pulling up crumbs it's definitely too thick.

Generally if you use a Viva or parchment to smooth you should be able to let it crust within a half hour or less. I think you did let it sit too long.

Cream cheese icing is a different beast but I know there are recipes specific to cream cheese that crust. Make sure you are using one of those.

If you get it all decorated and notice hairline cracks in the icing when you move/transport the cake, then get a stronger board and also add a little bit of corn syrup into your recipe.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 4

If you let the cake sit two hours, then yes you let it sit too long.

When using the viva paper towel you want to do it as soon as the icing crusts, usually about 10 to 15 mins depending on the recipes. If you want to long the crust gets harder and will cause elephant skin when you try to smooth it because then you are cracking the hard surface.

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 4

I meant to smooth it much sooner but kept getting distracted with one of my three kids and by the time I got back to it 2 hour had passed

Hopefully time elapsed was my only problem and I'll get it right next time

Quote by @%username% on %date%