Eggless Cake

Baking By SteveJ Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 9:25am by Davwattie

SteveJ Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 3

My friend and I often have bake offs to compare cakes and as she made one for my birthday last month i wanted to return the favour and bake one for her birthday this month. I had it all planned; it was going to be madeira cake (also known as pound cake i believe!) and it was going to be a mini (ish) three tiered stacked cake.

BUT i found out today that her birthday falls right slap bang in the middle of her month of fasting! She is a Hindu and cannot eat egg at all while she fasts (although she can eat cake...as long as it doesn't contain egg)

SO it looks like i'm going to have to replace my wonderful Madeira cake idea with an eggless one and i dont have a clue about eggless cakes icon_sad.gif . I'm hoping you guys can help out!

1) i need a reliable eggless sponge recipy!

2) can you tell that it is different to the real thing or are eggless cakes actually quite good?

3) what it the texture like; it is quite solid like a Madeira cake (ie can it be carved or stacked)?

Thanks for your help!

2 replies
scp1127 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:24am
post #2 of 3

Search for a highly rated vegan cake. There are plenty. I prefer the ones that use vinegar or nothing weird to the fake egg ones. I have also found them to be dense, moist, and they keep well.

Davwattie Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:25am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ

My friend and I often have bake offs to compare cakes and as she made one for my birthday last month i wanted to return the favour and bake one for her birthday this month. I had it all planned; it was going to be madeira cake (also known as pound cake i believe!) and it was going to be a mini (ish) three tiered stacked cake.

BUT i found out today that her birthday falls right slap bang in the middle of her month of fasting! She is a Hindu and cannot eat egg at all while she fasts (although she can eat cake...as long as it doesn't contain egg)

SO it looks like i'm going to have to replace my wonderful Madeira cake idea with an eggless one and i dont have a clue about eggless cakes icon_sad.gif . I'm hoping you guys can help out!

1) i need a reliable eggless sponge recipy!

2) can you tell that it is different to the real thing or are eggless cakes actually quite good?

3) what it the texture like; it is quite solid like a Madeira cake (ie can it be carved or stacked)?

Thanks for your help!

Got this out a cake decorating mag but not tried it yet. makes a 6in round

200g sweetened condensed milk
140g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
60ml melted butter or 60ml margarine
1 tsp vanilla essence
75ml water

sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda together. mix flour flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence and water, beat well.
Bake in oven at 200 degrees C for 10 mins then reduce temp to 150 degrees C and bake for a further 10 mins
Cake is ready when it leaves the sides of tin and is springy to touch

Another CC member made it the other week and said the customer was very happy icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%