Bulk Items- Where Do You Buy And Store It All?!

Business By kiraboo Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 12:52pm by cai0311

kiraboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiraboo Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 15

So I'm making the leap and will be starting my business from home come September (woohoo to the Baker's Bill! thumbs_up.gif )... anyway, I've been a hobby baker for a few years now and always bought my stuff at local grocery stores and sometimes Costco for things like butter, sour cream, vanilla, etc. (smaller bulk items). I've been looking at the 50lb sacks of flour, sugar, and powdered sugar and am thinking this:

WHERE am I going to keep all this stuff? lol

First off, do you store your bulk baking ingredients in airtight bins? Have any you recommend?
My pantry is already overflowing and half of it is my baking stuff. A storage closet I have is filled with pans, and now a bunch of boxes i bought in bulk. My hubby is probably rolling his eyes with every purchase, but is wisely keeping his mouth shut, lol.

Also, where are your favorite places to buy in bulk? Not just ingredients, but other cake supplies as well. I found brpboxshop.com for my boxes and cake boards. been quite happy with them so far.

14 replies
brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 15

Cambro Containers are really good for large storage solutions. They even have the large storage containers on wheels for 50lb bags of dry ingredients. I would Check out their website for a full product line to find what you want and then shop around to find the best price. HTH icon_smile.gif

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 15

I wondered about bulk cake mixes. Anyone know where to buy them?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 15

If you have a container store near you, they have dog food containers that can hold a 50 lb bag of flour. They are air and water tight, so they are great for things like flour and sugar in bulk.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 15

Restaurant supply stores will typically carry a variety of bulk containers, as well as bulk ingredients. There should be several of these stores in Houston.

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 15

I like wesellcoffee.com They have tons of restaurant supplies, including cakes boxes.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 15

You are going to want to look at your law to see if there are any specific requirements you'll have to meet. You may HAVE to store in NSF (food safe) containers. You may not be able to store in the bag once it's open. Like other posters, check for a restaurant supply company. I have Restaurant Depot and Cash n Carry which offer pretty competitive prices. I like the Cambro containers because they can stack on top of eachother. I have the same issues with all this stuff taking over my house! I've convinced myself that my stainless steel table looks great in my kitchen......

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 15

ACE Mart Restaurant Supply is on the Gulf Freeway (sb) between downtown and the Almeda area...thereabouts. icon_smile.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 15

I have a 1000 sf basment that had nothing in it. So I bought a couple selving units from Lowes and that is where I store my pans, tubs of fondant and gumpaste, gel colors, agbay, boxes, boards, cake drums, bubble tea straws, styrofoam for cake dummies I deperately need to get done, 50 lbs or shortening, boxes of 7 lb bags of powder sugar...

25 lb bags of flour and sugar I keep upstairs in my laundry room (it is quite large).

ashleyisawesome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyisawesome Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 15

Are there any places in the Houston area that do not require tax id? I've heard conflicting info about Bakemark...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyisawesome

Are there any places in the Houston area that do not require tax id? I've heard conflicting info about Bakemark...

If all they need is a tax ID, you can use your social security number as a tax ID for your sole proprietorship. Restaurant supply stores will sometimes require a business license though, which would be from your town/city.

ashleyisawesome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyisawesome Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 15

I'm looking more for a cash-and-carry type thing. I'm really wanting to get hi ratio shortening wholesale. It's way too expensive to buy from cake shops :-/

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 15

I purchase my large size items from a bakery supply business in my area and Sam's club. I am lucky to have a bakery wholesale supplier. I purchase everything in 50 lbs. Flour,sugar,hi ratio shortning.
To store these Items. I use a bin for wrapping paper. Rubbermaid makes them. They have a high lid on them and a top closing flap that can hold a scoop. They hold a 50lb bag of flour and sugar so neatly. It slides under my counter in my kitchen. My Health department lady loved the Idea. I leave the flour in the bag to roll down when not in use. keeps it a little cleaner.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 15

Does anyone know of a reasonable wholesale supplier located in Ohio, KY, IN, or TN?

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:52pm
post #15 of 15

I purchase my high ratio shortening from my local GFS in a 50 lb block. The shortening is at the store the following day from my ordering it. Plus, I don't have to pay shipping since I pick it up at the store (which is on my way home from work).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%