Hazelnut Cake

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 8:30am by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 13

DH has requested "some kind of hazelnut something with some Nutella mixed in." OK...

So does anyone have any tried and true recipes for a hazelnut cake?

Thanks,
Annie

12 replies
secondbase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
secondbase Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 13

I have made a hazelnut variation of the WASC cake adding 1/2 cup of hazelnut meal (finely ground hazelnuts) and a mixture of hazelnut extract and vanilla extract.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:50am
post #3 of 13

Frangelico! No matter what recipe you use, add this brushed (liberally) on the tops of the layers and in the IMBC. IMBC can hold one tbsp of liquid to every stick of butter. On the first day, you can taste some alcohol in the cake. After that, it mellows out. Both tastes are fantastic.

My Frangelico cake starts with a chocolate cake, but it would be equally as good in a yellow, or any cake that compliments hazelnut.

I'm developing a Nuts and Berries cupcake: Yellow cake brushed with Chambord, Frangelico frosting (one layer), Chambord frosting on top. You can change the order and change the one brushed on the cake.

AnnieCahill Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:05am
post #4 of 13

Thanks Second and Susan for the tips! Hazelnut is one nut I am not that familiar with, but I know it is used widely in Europe for desserts. I was thinking of buying a praline nut paste from King Arthur flour to fold into IMBC. Flavoring it with Frangelico might be just the little extra kick that it needs.

Thanks again!

Annie

scp1127 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 13

Annie, I saw some nut pastes somewhere and forgot where. Do you have any good gourmet shops in Winchester? I could make a trip.

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:44am
post #6 of 13

There's one in the AB mall, but it's kind of hit or miss whenever I'm looking for something (go figure!). I don't need it ASAP so maybe I will just do some experimenting for now. Do you have a gourmet store in WV or do you go into MD for that?

What my husband REALLY loves is Nutella. He eats containers of it, and still maintains a rail-thin frame. Hmm.

Thanks again for offering to help me. I will let you know how any experiments turn out, or if you want I can head up to your shop and drop off a sample for you to QC. icon_smile.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:10am
post #7 of 13

You have to try "Love n Bake" "hazelnut praline paste" IT IS OUT OF THIS WORLD for whoever that likes nutella. On the back of it's wrapping it has a meringue buttercream recipe which is ooh lala! Add the paste 1/4 cup at a time to the icing and taste as you go.

I am telling you, it is the best.
When you open the can the oil will be seperate from the paste, just dump the whole thing in a good size bowl and mix it little by little using a fork and smashing the paste. After a while it gets softer as it mixes with its oil and you can mix it with a hand mixer (just one beater head is enough).
HTH icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:20am
post #8 of 13

http://www.nutelladay.com/nutella-recipes/ This is a blog for World Nutella Day. Who Knew?

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:21am
post #9 of 13

That Love n Bake is what I saw on the KA website!

Thanks for the tips and the blog! DH will flip out!

bunny520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunny520 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:00am
post #10 of 13

i had a request once for "something choc hazelnut" too. i was pressed for time so i made my usual choc cake and added some nutella to the batter. for the frosting i made my choc buttercream but put in a lot of nutella and more powdered sugar. a lot of kids were going to be eating it so i didnt want to use alcohol. the birthday girl LOVED it. she said it was exactly what she wanted. so theres an idea if you just want to add something simple but delicious! it really made a difference in taste!

bunny520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunny520 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:04am
post #11 of 13

...but i have to agree...that hazelnut praline paste others have raved about....SO GOOD. i could eat that right out of the tub. i think i did once. icon_razz.gif

scp1127 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:02am
post #12 of 13

Annie, I think that paste was where the gourmet cheeses are in Martin's. My mom takes up a lot of my days (recent stroke), but we really do need to have lunch together someday.

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:30am
post #13 of 13

YES Susan I agree! Sorry to hear about your mom-let me know if there's anything I can do.

I will check Martin's today for the paste. I always forget they have gourmet items.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%