Fondant Bow On Side Of Cake

Decorating By sweetnothingstx Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 9:57pm by Allie06

sweetnothingstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnothingstx Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:21am
post #1 of 10

How do I put a fondant or gumpaste bow on side of cake without having it rest at the bottom. Like in the middle of the cake, but on the side..make sense?? It always falls, any suggestions?

9 replies
angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:26am
post #2 of 10

You could use icing. or maybe a tooth pick.. not sure if water will work but worth a shot.. might have to hold it in place for a bit

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:29am
post #3 of 10

check my pictures. I have a ribbon and bow around my sunflower cake. I attached it with water.. Then put a cup under it to hold it until it dried and for the delivery. The cake sat at the party for 3 hours.. The bow didn't budge.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:30am
post #4 of 10

try using toothpicks to hold it up

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 5:17am
post #5 of 10

Attach it with royal icing. It shouldn't go anywhere.

FerrariGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerrariGal Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 5:59am
post #6 of 10

I actually asked the exact same question this morning. I was told to make the bow as thin as possible so that it's really light. Then to use melted candy melts to stick it on the cake. I'm sure it will need to be supported while it's drying though, no matter what you use to glue it on.

ashleyisawesome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyisawesome Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 6:07am
post #7 of 10

I've done this using tylose glue, then placing toothpicks underneath until dry. Tylose glue works wonders lol

This is the recipe I've used:

How to make Edible Glue

Add 2 tablespoons of warm water to a quarter teaspoon of Tylose Powder and allow the Tylose powder to melt. Dont worry if at this stage the glue appears not to be blending. Put a lid on the container and leave it in the refrigerator overnight and in the morning you will have a perfectly clear and ready to use glue.

The glue should be a dripping consistency. If it is too thick, just add a little more water and stir with a toothpick .

The edible glue should be stored in the refrigerator when not in use.

To apply the glue, use a good quality paintbrush and brush on to the area where you are going to be working. Leave until it begins to dry a little so that the area is just tacky to touch.

sabileos1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabileos1 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 6:47am
post #8 of 10

I used water and toothpicks and held them till they dried...worked good!! But this tylose glue u made is it only good got Fondant or gumpaste??, can I used it to glue gumballs on my cake on the side???

sweetnothingstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnothingstx Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone! I will try these methods on my next!

Allie06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allie06 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 10

I purposely make a thick batch of royal icing, and use that as glue. Its a dream! On my candy themed cake, the only thing that didn't move ont he drive was my royal icing bow!!! Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%