My Oven Took About 70 Mins To Bake Two 6" Cakes

Baking By tsal Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 12:42pm by scp1127

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:41am
post #1 of 9

Is that ridiculously slow? It took me several hours to bake all 6 layers of the cake today.

It's a new LG oven. I'm wondering if I'm the only one that seems to spend an eternity baking. I only have one oven on top of it (I'm a hobbyist).

8 replies
olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #2 of 9

How thick are your cake pans? I do 3" thick cakes and it usually takes about 50 minutes.

tsal Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:06am
post #3 of 9

They're 3" pans filled about halfway (maybe a touch more).

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:20am
post #4 of 9

Have you checked the temperature of your oven to see if the setting is accurate?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 5:40am
post #5 of 9

tsal, you need to check your temp with an independent thermometer. If that is correct, you need a service call. Your relay is bad. It happens on digital ovens. Both of my KA's had the problem when they were new, bought two years apart. Don't let the serviceman bully you. One mistakenly did this to me. I think I made him cry when I was done. The relay is sensitive and can be bad because if the moving, or just bad from the factory. Have the repairman measure the change in temp from the heating up to the turning off. Without the relay, my oven, at 350, was heating to 375, cutting off, and coming on again at 325. The overall issue was baking too slow and centers not baking. That is a 50 degree swing. The serviceman told me that was industry standard. Bad move on his part. The industry standard can be up to 25 degrees each way, but 10 is good. With the simple part switched out, The oven was perfect. Both ovens worked for a few weeks before the relay broke, and both have been perfect since. Because the oven thermometer and the independent (spring mechanism) react slowly, they could not detect the change fast enough, so it looked good. If you got a higher end LG, it should have a good result after repair.

tsal Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:45am
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much for your responses! I bought my oven based on LG's great reviews, but now I'm not sure I'd buy another LG appliance. I bought an LG dishwasher at the same time and am not pleased with that either (have had it serviced 2 times in the first 3 months and the racks are poorly organized).

I will test it independently and get a service call as well. When I first got my oven, I was wiping out the interior and noticed that they had delivered one that was not finished properly on the inside and appeared almost rusted. Thank goodness I noticed because had I not wiped it out meticulously, I would not have noticed (it was hard to see, but easy to feel). Luckily, it was within 48 hours of purchase so they delivered a new one without a problem.

I knew that there had to be a problem because it didn't make sense that I spent 6 hours baking 3 tiers!

scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:49am
post #7 of 9

tsal, you can also contact LG directly. It really is a good company.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 9

I purchased a Jenn-Air Double Convection oven when I built my home five years ago. It wasn't until after I began my quest to perfect scratch baking that I noticed the wide temperature swing (50+ degrees). The repair man told me that was normal and there was absolutely nothing wrong. I wish I had been more insistent but didn't know I should be. BTW, my Jenn-Air dishwasher purchased at the same time is already on the fritz. Thank tsal for the thread and thanks scp1127 for the info. Good to know.

scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 9

vicki, my KA was about a month old. I told the repairman to take it out of the wall and get rid of it. It was such a rediculous thing to say that he didn't know what to do but to get my part ordered so that he could get out. The repairman who installed it said it was common for the relays to be weakened in transit, not completely broken. Once in, the new one is fine. He said that the 50 degree swing is what they all say, even though it is wrong. When pressured, they get the part. But that part is a whole new motherboard, so they try to get out of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%