Please Help!! How Do I Make Dark Brown Royal Icing?

Baking By CakelynsFinest Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 2:53am by krumbledkakes

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:12am
post #1 of 4

I need to make dark brown royal icing for a wedding cake I have this Saturday! I just tried to make chocolate royal icing and it did not come out well! Does anyone know how I can get royal icing a deep brown color? Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

3 replies
krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:26am
post #2 of 4

Have any cocoa powder?

Edited to add: any combination of the primary colors will make brown. I would experiment with them a bit to get the color you want

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 4

I do have cocoa powder. I used it for the first batch of chocolate royal icing and it did not get stiff enough. I put alot more powdered sugar in it too because I saw it was not getting stiff. Would gel color change the consistency at all?

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:53am
post #4 of 4

All I've ever used is gel coloring in my royal icing so I'm not sure what the consistency is like using another form of food coloring. And sorry, completely read over the part that said you already tried chocolate icing lol

Remember, it's always harder to stiffen up a thin icing than it is to thin out a stiff icing. I can put in 1 tsp of too much water and it seems like I have to put another cup of powdered sugar to get it back to where it was haha. If you still have the batch you made and it hasn't crusted, I would keep adding a bit of powdered sugar at a time until it gets to the consistency you want.

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%