Cakes At Retail Est: Refrigerate Buttercream?

Decorating By splymale Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 8:03am by scp1127

splymale Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:34am
post #1 of 13

OK, so in a bakery, there are cakes to be cut in slices with buttercream, cupcakes with buttercream.
Do these have to be refrigerated?
How long would you leave them out both at room temp and refrigerated?

I've sold pieces of cake at 1 store, i put them in the fridge, because that's what the local big grocery store does. But they only last a few days before they are totally dry.
I know when the cakes are made for individual customers, the buttercream does not have to be refrigerated.
i didn't know if it was different in a retail establishment.
I'm in OH if that matters,.
Thanks for the help!

12 replies
cakestyles Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:46am
post #2 of 13

It depends on the recipe you use. SMBC for example would need to be refrigerated.

Some bc's need refrigeration, some don't.

splymale Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:53am
post #3 of 13

So any buttercream with a meringue, yes to the fridge.
What about buttercream with butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, milk?

scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 6:05am
post #4 of 13

If you are selling wholesale, you need a separate license. These issues are covered in the license. That's why they are separately licensed. These are the rules everywhere I have checked. After proper labeling, the HD will give you a guideline on how to "shelf" each type of item based on ingredients. This is a very serious issue, as the potentially hazardous items will be out of your site. Usually, the HD's also have different requirements for packaged and unpackaged food under the retail license. Cake boxes are considered unpackaged. The box is not airtight. It is essentially a vehicle for transport. Anything wrapped or airtight is considered packaged.

splymale Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:57am
post #5 of 13

I am properly licensed with my state.

scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 13

Then your wholesale licence requirements will give you the guidelines you are looking for.

splymale Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 13

thank you, as others have posted, it is difficult to find this info on the dept of ags website, & hard to get answers out of them.
Also, i was wondering how long bakers reccomend keeping them both in & out of the fridge, these reccomendations are sometimes less then what the state allows.
I have already emailed the dept of ag & am waiting for a response.

cakestyles Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 13

Did they give you a packet when you applied for your license?

That's where I found all of my info when I was starting out. Since I don't live in your state, I don't want to give you the wrong information.

Good luck!

splymale Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 13

No packet, it was in 07. But, thanks though!

cakestyles Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 13

Oh yeah that's a long time ago. I would hope they'll send you all of the updated information. If not, keep hounding them until they do.

Don't be shy....ask them everything you can think of.

I kept a running list of questions whenever I'd think of one and the day of my inspection I went over everything with the HD inspector.

splymale Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 13

Regardless of the health standard,
how long do others keep a cake with buttercream in the cooler area at a retail est? (As far as flavor and freshness goes.)
Does anyone keep them out of the cooler with buttercream?

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:37am
post #12 of 13

When I worked at a retail bakery we kept BC cakes in freezer 21 days, refrigeration 7 and shelf stable 4 days. They used mass produiced non-dairy BC. Thier cakes were dry as all heck.

scp1127 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:03am
post #13 of 13

I wasn't trying to be a pain, but this is a question for the authorities only, not us, as the results of a wrong answer could make someone sick and land the baker in hot water. If you can't find the answer at the dept of ag, go to the FDA. You can also check at a nutrition research facility.

I find it hard to understand that this info is not available. It is probably online. In MD, the answers are at the STATE Health Dept. Our Dept of Ag is also where the FDA is located (WV). I think you will find that state regulations are going to be much higher than what the average baker leaves on the counter.

If you have a wholesale license, this has got to be covered before you get your license. They give you the info. This is the whole reason for the separate license. If you got your wholesale license in "07, just call them up and get a new application, as the current standards are what you need to be practicing. Do not just ask the girl at the front desk. Every area has food standards in writing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%