August Scratch-Off - Mud Cake!

Decorating By Adevag Updated 10 Apr 2017 , 5:36pm by cmlara_2009

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 8 May 2012 , 7:49pm
post #91 of 186

I guess I'll stick with APF to keep true to the qualities of a mudcake. Syrup is what I call the melted chocolate, butter.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 May 2012 , 4:37pm
post #92 of 186

Sooooo, here we are 8 months down the track and i thought i would stop by and ask - :anyone still making Mud Cakes?

As some know due to me posting a thread about why i have been absent - i curious if any of you make mud cakes as a regular option for your customers.and if so - are you finding them to be popular?

Me....yes, still making them more than any other cake - as a matter of fact i have an order for Sunday - White Chocolate Mud Cupcakes.... i will use a white cvhovolate ganache as a filling for them - i just pipe it in using a small piping nozzle - then spread some across the top before putting my fondant lid on each cupcake.
Is anyone else doing that when making Mud Cupcakes?

It works extremely well no matter which type of mud cake you use - or whether you make a cake or cupcakes.

Bluehue

sprinklescakeboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprinklescakeboutique Posted 11 May 2012 , 5:11pm
post #93 of 186

mudcakes are fab and great in cupcakes and ganache goes perfectly with it icon_smile.gif i use EF recipe yummmmm

vgcea Posted 12 May 2012 , 8:14pm
post #94 of 186

I made a White Chocolate Mudcake last month (the recipe that called for golden syrup, can't seem to find that recipe for some reason) and filled it with white chocolate SMBC, covered it with vanillla bean SMBC. It was a hit. I walked by a group of ladies once and one of them described me as "the one who made that white chocolate cake." LOL.

Bluehue Posted 13 May 2012 , 3:02am
post #95 of 186

Yes, great to see that the *Mud Cake* is being made by more and more Cakers...
icon_lol.gif

Bluehue

vgcea Posted 15 May 2012 , 5:28pm
post #96 of 186

icon_redface.gif
EDIT: Turns out my review wasn't for a true Pam's mudcake. Well, back to the oven I go...

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 15 May 2012 , 7:31pm
post #97 of 186

vgcea - it's commonly thought that mudcakes are better after being frozen, so it should only get better icon_smile.gif I'm surprised you described it as crumbly though, did you torte it too soon? The chocolate needs time to re-harden, then it's usually nice and firm. Mudcake is a dream to carve, very little problem with crumbles at all.

vgcea Posted 15 May 2012 , 8:14pm
post #98 of 186

Zespri, I too was surprised it crumbled. I totally was not expecting that. I baked it last night, left it in the pan (top covered with plastic wrap) at room temp, and torted this morning. I can not imagine why this happened. The cocoa I used was a baking bar with I believe 68% cocoa. Butter was Plugra.

Maybe someone can help figure out what went wrong. The banana cake held a nice carvable texture but not the dark chocolate.

EDIT: I figured out what I did wrong icon_redface.gif I started out wanting to make the Planet Cake recipe, made the syrup for that and while it was cooling, went about my business snooping around this thread... and then changed my mind and went for Pam's BUT forgot to tweak the melted chocolate mixture icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif . Lawd, I'm so special. Okay so my review isn't for a true Pam's mudcake after all. Totally deleting that entry icon_lol.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 7:12pm
post #99 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Yes, great to see that the *Mud Cake* is being made by more and more Cakers...
icon_lol.gif

Bluehue

Hear hear! And next month, I get bonafide true blue Aussie mudcake at a Planet Cake course! icon_lol.gif (ok, i'll quit bragging soon.)

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 7:49pm
post #100 of 186

I have made Bluehue's dark chocolate & white chocolate mud cakes. I think this will now be my go to recipes. Love them both and everyone who tasted them loved them too.

Bluehue Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 2:56am
post #101 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreti

I have made Bluehue's dark chocolate & white chocolate mud cakes. I think this will now be my go to recipes. Love them both and everyone who tasted them loved them too.

Pleased to read that you enjoyed the Mud Cakes.
Another style of cake to offer to your customers/family.
Wonderful cakes to stack - and when your cakes are torted, filled and then crumbcoated with Ganache you will find that they stay moist for days.
By adding different flavours (peppermint/coffee/cherry for example) you now have a very versitile cake batter.
Thank you for coming back to this thread and *reporting your findings*
Appreciate it icon_smile.gif

AZCouture - The courses aren't cheap - so brag away thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif - look forward to hearing what you thought of the course and your views of the Mud Cakes

Bluehue

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 5:28am
post #102 of 186

Bluehue - she's not doing the Planet Cake course in Australia - actually don't even think it is Planet Cake that is doing them - it is Jessica Pedemont (PC staff) that is teaching at Baking Arts in ... ??? San Diego? (guess LOL)

It will be fantastic! Faye Cahills girls have taught there too - at long last a little bit of Australia is on offer for all that want to learn

Can't wait to see what Jamie comes up with after completing these cake courses!

Excited for HER!!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 6:29am
post #103 of 186

Ahem - Baking Arts is in San Francisco icon_biggrin.gif

I have had chocolate mud, but I didn't make it. It was very, very tasty. But I love my regular chocolate cake so I'm keeping mine. I keep meaning to make white chocolate mud but I have not gotten around to it yet . But I will!

Maybe next week - I've been seeing an increase in requests for white chocolate anything.

ApplegumPam Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 7:39am
post #104 of 186

hehe - San Diego, San Fran ...... close enough - both start with San haha bit like NBC saying Australia was in Europe during the Olympics !! icon_razz.gif

Bluehue Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 7:53am
post #105 of 186

Pam - i was going on this post from above...

And next month, I get bonafide true blue Aussie mudcake at a Planet Cake course! (ok, i'll quit bragging soon.)

Bluehue

AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 2:29pm
post #106 of 186

Oh yes, my bad! Not Planet Cake, but what Pam said. So excited!

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 3:46am
post #107 of 186

Just curious, do people use a dark chocolate ganache on a white chocolate mud cake sometimes? or is it usually white/white and dark/dark combos?

thanks!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 3:56am
post #108 of 186

It's normally white/white, dark/dark, but there's nothing to stop you using any combination you like. I ate a stack of dark chocolate scraps with white chocolate ganache the other day, and it was very yummy.

Bluehue Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 6:27am
post #109 of 186

Cakfat - i make milk chocolate ganache for my White Mud Cakes.
Personally i find white ganache far too sweet and rich with the White Mud Cake.
Where as the milk ganache isn't so *tooth tingling sweet* - icon_wink.gif

Bluehue

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 6:54am
post #110 of 186

blue- thank you so much- great idea! And that's the 2:1 Ratio for the milk chocolate ganache- same as dark?

I just made a white chocolate/white chocolate last weekend (it was my first mud cake- ever- got the recipe here) and I'm a convert!! Honestly I think it was one of the nicest cakes I've ever had or made. I shared with my Aussie and New Zealand friends and they said it was ah-may-zing.

But for me the white chocolate ganache was a bit sweet. going to make another one next week for work colleagues, so will use the milk chocolate ganache this time around. thanks a lot!

Bluehue Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 7:06am
post #111 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat

blue- thank you so much- great idea! And that's the 2:1 Ratio for the milk chocolate ganache- same as dark?
Yes, thats correct - 2:1 ratio.
Your most welcome - as i said - i find the white ganache so overly sweet - but the milk ganache is just right - imo.
You can of course, use milk ganache to fill the cake and then use white to cover - if you have both on hand.
There isn't any hard and fast rule as to what ganache you use with what cake - its just a personnel choice.
Plus the milk ganache looks good when you cut the cake -

I just made a white chocolate/white chocolate last weekend (it was my first mud cake- ever- got the recipe here) and I'm a convert!! Honestly I think it was one of the nicest cakes I've ever had or made.
Yayyy - another great cake batter to add to your recipe collection. I shared with my Aussie and New Zealand friends and they said it was ah-may-zing.

But for me the white chocolate ganache was a bit sweet. going to make another one next week for work colleagues, so will use the milk chocolate ganache this time around. thanks a lot! - glad to help
Bluehue

ApplegumPam Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 11:12am
post #112 of 186

Bluehue - Lots of us east-coasters are using sour cream in our white ganache now

Seems to be less sweet with a nice tang

Bluehue Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 12:11pm
post #113 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam

Bluehue - Lots of us east-coasters are using sour cream in our white ganache now
Yes, many West Coaster do that also - but not me.
I keep my sour cream for my Mexican food and the likes.

Seems to be less sweet with a nice tang... Hmmmm, its the *tang* that i am not keen on - to me its like mixing lemon with Mango ...
Thanks Pam - good thing you posted that tip - so others can think about using it

Blue

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 7:56pm
post #114 of 186

I am going to try the sour cream with the white chocolate. I love sour cream chocolate ganache with banana cake. Awesome combo! I can see how well it would go with the white chocolate.

zespri Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:05pm
post #115 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam

Seems to be less sweet with a nice tang

That's interesting Pam! Do you substitute some of the cream, or just mix it in at the end?

ApplegumPam Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:58pm
post #116 of 186

Hi Rach icon_biggrin.gif

I substitute like for like - ALL sour cream

Think yours should be the same as ours - only works with the full fat one (35% ?)

I heat it the same as I would the cream - was worried it would split when I first did it - but it was fine icon_lol.gif

Its delicious! I added passionfruit as well ... mmm mmm

AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:59pm
post #117 of 186

Very interesting Pam...sounds good!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 3:45pm
post #118 of 186

Im going to try all these recipes, so if I burts out of my clothes I will know who to blame icon_smile.gif

just a couple of questions, sorry if its been asked, but I just skimmed the responses.

How easy is it to double or triple these recipes?

I saw somewhere that you bake it in a 3" pan with a collar, does it then rises to 4" or do you bake 2 layers for one cake?

Assuming you only bake one layer and tort it, can I bake a 12" thats 4" high in one go, or do I need to bake it in 2 or 3 layers?

zespri Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 7:02pm
post #119 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechick123

Im going to try all these recipes, so if I burts out of my clothes I will know who to blame icon_smile.gif

just a couple of questions, sorry if its been asked, but I just skimmed the responses.

How easy is it to double or triple these recipes?

I saw somewhere that you bake it in a 3" pan with a collar, does it then rises to 4" or do you bake 2 layers for one cake?

Assuming you only bake one layer and tort it, can I bake a 12" thats 4" high in one go, or do I need to bake it in 2 or 3 layers?

From what I can gather (and I'm generalising here), layering cakes seems to be popular in your part of the world, but is still fairly newish to some other parts. The first time I ever made one was after coming onto this forum and hearing people talk about it. Every time I give someone a layered cake they are surprised it has filling and think I'm very clever, lol! So what I'm trying to say is that most mudcake recipes will not take layering into account, so whichever one you are reading would be assuming you want to end up with one cake, not two layers. Also traditionally cakes are around 3" tall in this neck of the woods, so if you want a 4" cake you'll have to adjust accordingly. Again, the taller cakes are gaining popularity here, but the recipes you're looking at were probably written when 3" non-layered cakes were the way to go.

meganclarke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganclarke Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 6:51pm
post #120 of 186

I moved recently and have yet to be able to find my deeper pans. The deepest I have is about 2" x 8" x 8". icon_sad.gif
I am going to be making FreckleCakes version and this will be the first mud cake I have made, so I'm not sure how to go about this. Will it be fine to just use this pan, with a reduced baking time? or will it not bake correctly at all? I am assuming that I will need a collar, but how tall will it need to be? How much should I fill the pan?

In order to make the cake taller, I will be layering it. The recipe says its for a deep 22 cm-round pan. I have two pans of the size I mentioned above. Does anyone know if this recipe can be doubled or if it will need to be to fill both pans?

I know this is quite a newbie question, but I'm newer to baking. Any help will be hugely appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%