August Scratch-Off - Mud Cake!

Decorating By Adevag Updated 10 Apr 2017 , 5:36pm by cmlara_2009

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:40am
post #31 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I got a box of white chocolate and some coconut milk with your name all over it calling to me in my pantry, Blue. I really want to try that cake. I have yet to taste a "white chocolate" cake that actually tastes like white chocolate, so I imagine your mud to be the cake to end all cake! LOL!

Irkkkkk - i hope you like it - (blue shivers and shakes in anticipation) icon_wink.gif

I just need to get thru this next week - my first 200 person wedding cake. Fondant. Stencils. Quilting. Sanding sugar. Sugar peonies and roses. Monogram (Lambeth method).
WHAT - NO HAND MADE BRIDE AND GROOM TOPPER - lolllllllllllllllllllllll
Good grief - thats a lot happening on one cake - BUT, true to your form i know it will look stunning. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Can't wait till you post about it on your Blog...

I have to get cracking and start making everything for another cake like this

http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/search/label/IVORY%20AND%20PINK%20CAKE%20WITH%20BIRDS%20-%20BUTTERFLIES%20AND%20FLOWERS.-%20EMBOSSED%20COOKIES
This time in Empress Purple and Lilac.. with matching cup cakes. I think I'm throwing in everything but the kitchen sink at this design!
Indeed you are petal.....indeed you are

Aaaaaand THEN I'll have some free time to make new cake.
you can have a day just to get your breath again - thumbs_up.gif

My husband thinks I'm nuts. That's because I am. icon_cool.gif
LOLLLL - We are all nuts ...................... but we wouldn't have it any other way. icon_lol.gif
Makes our worlds go around just that little bit faster icon_wink.gif

Blue.

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:19am
post #32 of 186

I would love to get on this but I only make cupcakes. Can you make a mud cupcake? And if so, are there special instructions?

Thanx,
Ready and Eager

Bluehue Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:28am
post #33 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastj

I would love to get on this but I only make cupcakes. Can you make a mud cupcake?
Indeed you can -
Using the Bluehue dark chocolate mu cake recipe i get 24 cupcakes from that recipe.
And if so, are there special instructions? I cook them at the same temp as i do the cakes - for roughly 25 mins...depending on your oven.
The are springy to the touch when done - but also test with a wooden tooth pick - you don't want the tooth pick to be clean when it comes out - otherwise that will mean that they are over cooked.
You are looking for a sticky crumb on the TP.
As Mud Cakes are meant to be dense and moist - not like a sponge cake where you need the too pick to be clean -

Jump on board and make a batch thumbs_up.gif ..............remember - if you don't need them when you cook them - you can freeze them for a cuple of months.
Or make up a complete batch - but only cook half and freeze the rest of the batch.

Bluehue.

Thanx,
Ready and Eager ........... lolll

texastj Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:29pm
post #34 of 186

Thanx Bluehue for the tips!!! I think I will give your recipe a try.....cuppy style. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:46pm
post #35 of 186

I just googled mud cake images. Is stabilized whipped cream acceptable? What about adding liqueur to the cake (brushed on)? I also saw some pics where several layers in different flavors were stacked. Can you add liqueur to the ganache?

I know that I can do whatever I want, but I want to learn the traditional method.

Bluehue Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #36 of 186

texastj - you are most welcome icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I just googled mud cake images. Is stabilized whipped cream acceptable?
What do you mean by Stabilized -
What about adding liqueur to the cake (brushed on)?
Most certainly - brush away petal - thumbs_up.gif
You can add it to the batter - if you wish.

I also saw some pics where several layers in different flavors were stacked. Can you add liqueur to the ganache?
Yes, you can add it to the ganache - i do.

I know that I can do whatever I want,
icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif that line made me laugh...

but I want to learn the traditional method.

To be honest - there really isn't anything traditional about the various mud cakes we over here use - its all up to what you like.
If you wish you can add black coffee - ...that gives the dark chcolate one a very deep flavour.

I even had a request about a year ago for a Chillie Chocolate Cake - so i made the Dark Chocolate Mud cake and added chillie flakes to it -
I didn't want to add blitzed Chillies just incase someone got more than they bargined for when they had a slice of cake.

You can also add those Malteses to the batter if you wish - crush them up a little and stir them through just before you pour the mixture into the pan/s...........for a malted chocolate flavour.

Bluehue

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #37 of 186

So excited! I didn't get a notification on this, wonder why. Anywho. My cake experiments icon_biggrin.gif are listed below.

1) Pam's Chocolate Mud Cake CHERRY(queento2)
2) Exclusively Food's Chocolate Mud Cake
3) Dark Chocolate Mud Cake
4) Bluehue's Dark Chocolate Mud Cake

5) FrecklesCakes' White Chocolate Mud Cake CHERRY(queento2)
6) Bluehue's White Chocolate Mud Cake

texastj Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 11:50am
post #38 of 186

Bluehue, I have a couple more questions:
1. You said you bake them using the same temp for cakes. I usually bake my cupcakes at 335 degrees. Would this be ok, or should I go lower?

2. How full should I fill the cupcake tins? Not quite sure how much they will rise.

3. I see this recipe uses coconut milk. Is this a chocolate coconut cake recipe?

I appreciate all your assistance.

Thanx

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:21pm
post #39 of 186

Whats the difference between mudcakes and regular cakes?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #40 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeastic

Whats the difference between mudcakes and regular cakes?

Texture? Don't know. Flavor? Don't know. That's the point of the scratch-off, because we don't know! Pick a recipe and help us find out what our Aussie sistas are baking down there icon_biggrin.gif

Jen

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:11pm
post #41 of 186

texastj the oven temp for Blue's mudcake for us would be 275 to 300 F .

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 12:06am
post #42 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMay

3) Dark Chocolate Mud Cake

I believe #3 comes from here: http://www.how2cakes.com/darkmud.html

Yes I think it is too icon_smile.gif I LOVE this mud cake! It is my go to and everyone loves it! I modify it at times too but as is its great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

Frecklescakes - I'm sorry I got the recipe name wrong. But I'm glad it's a caramel cake because after reading about them I have been wanting to try it!

5) FrecklesCakes' Caramel Chocolate Mud Cake

Thanks icon_smile.gif I think a few people that missed this may get a little surprise haha but that's ok.

texastj Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 8:20pm
post #43 of 186

Hi guys! I'm trying to figure out if any of you tried Bluehue's recipe and if it tastes like a chocolate coconut cake. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. It will help me decide which mudcake to try first. Thanx in advance.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #44 of 186

I did and no, it doesn't have a coconut chocolate taste. Now, there is whiff of it, but that may be cause I know it is in there. I just did that one and Freckle's caramel cake. Seeing as how I'm not that into chocolate, but love caramel, I can say Freckles your caramel mud cake is AWESOME!! Will be trying the cake on Saturday, will give more flavor details then. icon_biggrin.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #45 of 186

So, anyone else baking?

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:55pm
post #46 of 186

I have made Bluehue's Dark chocolate with great results. I did not taste coconut in it so I would not call it a coconut chocolate cake, just chocolate.
I will post my review later after I have tried some of the other recipes. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 1:50pm
post #47 of 186

The coconut is to make the cake moist - as a mud cake should be... thus the coconut milk gives the cake the dense crumb.

And the coffee is in the recipe as that intensifies the chocolate taste.
As coffee and chocolate create a perfect marriage when joined together.

Hope this clarifies some of the questions regaqrding the mud cake recipe i use and was posted here.

Blue icon_smile.gif

FrecklesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:24am
post #48 of 186

Sorry been so busy with work. I will trial a couple more this weekend and post results. Are these still the
Judging Criteria:
1. Flavor
2. Texture/Crumb
3. Moistness
4. Ease of recipe
5. Cost
6. 3-day test: evaluate flavor, texture/crumb and moistness again three days after cake was bakes (and from what I've read about mud cakes, it should only get better)

or did we change the day to start at day 3 for first test?

oh and for those of you that freeze cakes and tort while frozen, just a warning with mudcakes.... CAREFUL as they are SO dense you can cut your finger off. Maybe let them defrost a bit or a lot or fully even. Bluehue may be able to comment on that as I am just a hobby baker, but thats what I found.

oh and in terms of bake-off rules. Can we still use any baking 'helpers' as in baking strips or flower nail?

Bluehue Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:55am
post #49 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklesCakes

Sorry been so busy with work. I will trial a couple more this weekend and post results. Are these still the
Judging Criteria:
1. Flavor
2. Texture/Crumb
3. Moistness
4. Ease of recipe
5. Cost
6. 3-day test: evaluate flavor, texture/crumb and moistness again three days after cake was bakes (and from what I've read about mud cakes, it should only get better)

The flavour and texture certainly changes after freezing - i have never made a mud cake and started torting - filling and decorating without it going into the freezer first - even if just for 24 hours.
I highly reccomend it for all flavours of mud cakes.

or did we change the day to start at day 3 for first test?
I think that was just something i suggested - perhaps try it on day one and then again on day three - unless your family gobbles it all up on day one - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

oh and for those of you that freeze cakes and tort while frozen, just a warning with mudcakes.... CAREFUL as they are SO dense you can cut your finger off. Maybe let them defrost a bit or a lot or fully even. Bluehue may be able to comment on that as I am just a hobby baker, but thats what I found.
That was a very good bit of advise - i didn't think to mentiion that.
I get mine out of the freezer the night before i need it - leave it on the benchtop over night still fully wrapped - that way it is Much easier to tort into layers....This type of cake being so dense is perfect for freezing and torting when cold.

oh and in terms of bake-off rules. Can we still use any baking 'helpers' as in baking strips or flower nail?
I would definately reccomend using *kitchen helpers* seeing as all our ovens are different and cooking times will vary.
I have a fan forced oven so i need to knock my temp down by 20C to begin with.
And yes, i use baking strips....

Blue.

FrecklesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:13am
post #50 of 186

Thanks Blue. There are definately small things like the above mentioned by you and me that MAKE a mud cake. Many tips to be mentioned so hopefully everyone loves the taste and re-tries with modifications to baking and preparing finished cake.

Can't wait to hear everyones thoughts on the Aussie Favourite! (yes its Australian so favorite has a U icon_smile.gif )

QTCakes1 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:17pm
post #51 of 186

Oka, so I did Bluehues cake and I got a linger of coconut. Everyone liked it fine. Between the two, I think I prefer Pam's Mud Cake for texture and flavor. I thought Bluhue's was a little on the dryer side. I LOVE the caramel mudcake. Similiar dense texture. Good flavor.

Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 11:50am
post #52 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Oka, so I did Bluehues cake and I got a linger of coconut. Everyone liked it fine. Between the two, I think I prefer Pam's Mud Cake for texture and flavor. I thought Bluhue's was a little on the dryer side. I LOVE the caramel mudcake. Similiar dense texture. Good flavor.

Oh great - you tried it - thumbs_up.gif
I have used Pams recipe also - it is very nice.
Wow - you found mine to be on the dryer side - i have never had that said before but i take it on board and appreciate all feed back.

I am just glad that you have tried making Mud Cakes - and that its another recipe to add to your file...

Thankyou for posting your feedback - thats what its all about - honest opinions and constructive thoughts. -

Blue. icon_smile.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:35pm
post #53 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

I LOVE the caramel mudcake. Similiar dense texture. Good flavor.

I know I didn't officially "sign up" to participate, but I really wanted to try a mudcake so I made the caramel recipe posted in this thread.

I really don't taste the "caramel" flavor at all in the cake itself...the icing was awesome (I added some kosher salt to it to make it a salted caramel icing) but the cake by itself is just sort of, well....bland.

Do you taste a caramel cake when you just eat the cake without the icing?

I didn't freeze it, so maybe that's the problem. It's moist and it rose evenly in the pan, but it's not at all what I imagined a "mudcake" to be. It's day 4 today and it's still as moist as it was on day 1 or 2 but nobody is "digging in" to it as I thought they would. Oh well....

To me the texture is no different than some of my regular scratch cakes.

All this time I've been thinking that a mudcake's texture would be similar to a flourless torte....nope.

I intend to try Pam's recipe next if this damn hurricane doesn't take my power away.

Adevag Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:11pm
post #54 of 186

I made Bluehues and it came out very moist. I thought I over baked it even, but is was still very moist.

I love how to make the mud cakes. It's an easy step to melt chocolate and butter together vs the creaming method I'm used to.

What I'm having trouble with is adding the dry ingredients into the wet ones. I keep getting lumps and have to run it through a strainer. I must be doing it wrong, or it could just be that I'm not experienced with this process. I'm used to alternating between wet and dry into the creamed butter and sugar and eggs.
Now, while adding little flour and cocoa into a lot of liquid seems impossible for me. How do you do it? Or could I just add the dry first and add the melted and cooled "liquid" ingredients a little at a time? I want to follow the recipe, but both times that I tried the mud cake recipes I failed when it came to adding the dry ingredients.

Just like cakestyles, I am about to try Pam's recipe today. As long as I get to keep my power!

cakestyles Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:30pm
post #55 of 186

I had much better luck adding the liquid to the dry a little at a time instead of vice versa.

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:23pm
post #56 of 186

Ok, I admit I am lazy, but would someone post the recipes already converted to US measurements? Unless I missed them somewhere icon_smile.gif

cakestyles Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:27pm
post #57 of 186

I'm not sure they were converted to US measurements entirely. Someplace in this thread there are some conversions but not the whole recipe.

I always bake by weight and not volume anyway...I just find the results to be more accurate and this method is a lot easier than using multiple measuring cups/spoons.

Adevag Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:16pm
post #58 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I had much better luck adding the liquid to the dry a little at a time instead of vice versa.

Ok. Great, then that's what I will do too! Thanks.

cookiemom- I think it was on the first page where the differences were discussed, but there is not an entire recipe converted.
It wasn't as hard as it looks. I measured with grams and ml. (depending if it was weight or volume) and found it to be the quickest way to follow the recipe.

QTCakes1 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:42pm
post #59 of 186

I think I need to rephrase, Bluehue's cake is NOT dry at all. It is dryer then Pam's cake. They are both moist cakes, I think Pam has a moister (is that a word?) cake. So you can't lose with either, it'll just come down to prefernce. Now with the caramel cake, NO caramel cake has the taste of biting into a caramel candy type taste. The batter, well it did taste like a caramel, but the cake has the tone of caramel. Does that make sense? It is the caramel buttercreams and fillings that add to the overall caramel flavor of a cake. And if you think of what a traditional vanilla/yellow/butter (whatever you call that flavor) cake taste like, then you can get a better sense of the caramel flavor in the caramel cake. Hope that helps. And sorry, gotta convert measurements on your own, I'm too lazy to type the recipes. It'll be much quicker for you to convert then it takes me to type. icon_wink.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:49pm
post #60 of 186

And as far as adding the dry to the wet, you may not be letting it mix long enough. These recipes are similiar to a dump cake recipe and can stand being mixed, unlike a butter based recipe where you have to be careful about over mixing. I also find the texture to be on the heavier side. I know after day 4 Pam's recipe was really fudge like, and Blue hue's was like a brownie. My heaviest cake recipe is my RV and these are simliar to my RV recipe, but a little bit more dense. I don't think the caramel was as dense though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%