August Scratch-Off - Mud Cake!

Decorating By Adevag Updated 10 Apr 2017 , 5:36pm by cmlara_2009

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:05pm
post #121 of 186

Hi girls

I layer all my mudcakes - and fill with a good layer of a complimentary flavour ganache.

I think it adds to the eating experience and definately helps to keep the cake moist BUT more importantly I think it adds to the structural integrity of a cake - especially if it is carved - think of it as the reinforcement in the steel.

My cakes are normally 4 to 4-1/2inches high completed - so a 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 inch cake with 2 layers of ganache and a ganache undercoat will increase the height - the fondant layer is only about 1/8inch thick

I always bake my cake in total - not split between pans

I collar the 3inch high cake tins - extending by about 2inches - and fill the pan to approx 1inch from top of pan with batter.

I always use homemade baking strips around the cake and cover the top with an alfoil 'tent' for the entire baking process - it creates a level flat top that will not crack or dome.

The baking time will increase substantially so I reduce the oven temp to approx 150-160'C in a fan-forced oven - a 12inch cake can take 4+hours

meganclarke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganclarke Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 5:30am
post #122 of 186

Thanks for the help Pam! I will definitely fill it and use the tin foil tent. Do you think it will be fine to use the two inch deep pans, maybe with a taller collar?

ApplegumPam Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 5:44am
post #123 of 186

If you have 2 tins the same size you could split the mix and bake 2 cakes - if you cut each in half, you will end up with 4 layers with 3 layers of filling (I'd just but less ganache in each layer as it can be a little overpowering)

meganclarke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganclarke Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 5:49am
post #124 of 186

Okay, I'll give it a go. Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 9:51am
post #125 of 186

Pam, thanks so much for the info!
Is it easy to double or triple your recipe for large cakes?

ApplegumPam Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 10:13am
post #126 of 186

Never had any problem with larger quantities - have done 4 times etc and no probs icon_smile.gif

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 4:22am
post #127 of 186

I baked Pam's mud cake using half bittersweet and semi sweet chocolate. I love it! I had some problems keeping my parchment collars adhered to the cake pan but no big issues. I only tasted pieces of the edge that baked behind my misshapen collar. The pieces I tasted were absolutely delicious! Very chocolatey and moist thumbs_up.gif

Off to the freezer it goes and I will taste in a couple days. I am so excited!

ApplegumPam Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 4:44am
post #128 of 186

I normally give the tin a quick spray with Canola Oil/Rice Bran Oil/ Sprink - not sure what you have over there... hey its my namesake isn't it? PAM !

Just enough to get the liners to stay put! I've ditched the bakepaper and now have reusable Fibreglass Baking Paper - can be used over and over again - quick wash up in hot suds and put away to use another day - saves SO much time having them precut

tigachu Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 6:04am
post #129 of 186

I will look into that. Thank you.

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 10:36am
post #130 of 186

My Mud cake is so dry icon_sad.gif I do not know what i did wrong. icon_cry.gif

tigachu Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 7:45pm
post #131 of 186

I just ganached my very first dark chocolate mud cake! I'll give it a taste after dinner. Once thawed, the layer was so soft!

I am attempting to attache the photo below. If it works, I apologize for the other appliances in the way icon_redface.gif
LL

tigachu Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 11:41pm
post #132 of 186

I wanted to post a pic of the sliced cake. My slice fell over on the plate and wasn't very pretty enough to include in a photo.

The mud cake is heavenly! I am a convert for sure! I can only describe the flavor as deep, and intensely chocolatey. The texture is moist, velvety and soft yet still firm. I wouldn't say it has a brownie texture or density because mine was kind of fluffy and firm at the same time. I know it doesn't make sense but it 's the only way I can describe it. It crumbled a little when I sliced it but it was minimal and not at all in a bad, dry crumbly way.

Let me just put this into perspective:

My vanilla cake loving 3 year old daughter asked if I could make it for her birthday party on the 29th icon_lol.gif and my husband who doesn't really care for sweets, switched up his comment mid sentence. The conversation went something like this:
Me: "Baby, do you want to try some of this cake?" My husband then walks closer to me as I break off a tiny piece for him to eat off of my fork.
Hubby: "Sure but not as much as you cut on that plate!" he took a bite and then he said "Oh my gosh, that's so good!" He took a bigger piece and said" get that out of here, Oh my gosh that's so good! I am going to eat it all by myself!!"

I am so happy to have finally tried this and now there is no turning back. Thank you everyone!

**Edited to say: I am not sure why my photos are uploading sideways..Sorry if it makes viewing more difficult
LL

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:05am
post #133 of 186

Well done - its great to read feed back.
Glad your family enjoyed.... we can add you to ther growing list of Mud Cake Converters - lolll

Pam will be pleased to see your posts

Great to see your photos -

Bluehue

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 3:21pm
post #134 of 186

tigachu, Thanks for posting the pictures. The cake looks delicious. I have to try this recipe.

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 3:46am
post #135 of 186

I've been planning on trying a mud cake as I need a very chocolatey cake and after reading all the posts, it's time to try. BUT...haver never tried ganache and person wants a raspberry filling (note-I'm a hobby baker). I read where someone has used what sounded like a "jelly" type filling but would this work with a raspberry mousse or BC filling? Can I do this type of cake with the "typical" torting (ie: dam/filling) method-which is the only way I know icon_redface.gif ?

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 7:43am
post #136 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsmom

I've been planning on trying a mud cake as I need a very chocolatey cake and after reading all the posts, it's time to try. BUT...haver never tried ganache and person wants a raspberry filling (note-I'm a hobby baker). I read where someone has used what sounded like a "jelly" type filling but would this work with a raspberry mousse or BC filling? Can I do this type of cake with the "typical" torting (ie: dam/filling) method-which is the only way I know icon_redface.gif ?

Raspberry jam is nice as a filling.

linnod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnod Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 2:03pm
post #137 of 186

I too will stick with recipes that state gram weight.. It can be quite tricky other wise.

linnod Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 1:56am
post #138 of 186

Blue, how soon do we put in freezer after baking? 

linnod Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 2:05am
post #139 of 186

Is mud cake more like an american brownie?

ApplegumPam Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 12:44am
post #140 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by linnod 

Is mud cake more like an american brownie?

No!  but the recipe you used IS

linnod Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 1:49am
post #141 of 186

Is it just like an american Brownie?

linnod Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 1:53am
post #142 of 186

Please tell me if it comes out like a brownie

ApplegumPam Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 1:58am
post #143 of 186

Quote:

Can't give a definite answer for you - as with ALL things food, it is open to personal opinion and as with all things 'global/ -  what you call a cookie, I call a biscuit

The mudcake recipe you find in my signature is typical of most wedding cakes in Australia in 2013 - they have been used for more than a decade now.  Most are sliced into 4 and layered and coated with ganache before their final fondant coating....... so do I think THAT is just like an American Brownie..... ummmmm

A thin  slice of fudgy cake with a wet shiny glaze???

NOPE - nothing at all like THAT

Does it have a rich REAL chocolate flavour in a dense, small crumbed cake?   Yes

Truly - do yourself a favour - just cook ONE recipe - remember, dont eat warm - leave in tin to cool.  Make your ganache using 2:1 ratio and EAT it at least 24 hours after you have baked.....   then make up your own mind

linnod Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 2:06am
post #144 of 186

I plan on making yours this week. Is it like an american brownie?

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 8:41am
post #145 of 186

Quote:

I plan on making yours this week. Is it like an american brownie?

No.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 9:56am
post #146 of 186

Quote:

what's an american Brownie?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 11:23am
post #147 of 186
Quote: