Feeling The Need To Vent

Lounge By nana2me Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 11:31am by costumeczar

nana2me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana2me Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 20

I am a pretty beginner cake decorator (learned everything I know from here or the web). With that being said I really just need to vent so thanks in advance for "listening."

I mainly make cakes for my family because it's something I enjoy and I feel that I am pretty good at (my pictures don't do cakes justice-thanks phone camera icon_rolleyes.gif). This weekend I made a bowling alley cake for my brothers birthday and I totally enjoyed it and had fun. I had to finish the cake at my mom's house because I ran out of time (oops!) and was working very hard on it when my sisters boyfriend says "well thats not your best work now is it." I try hard to ignore him because 1. I don't really like him and 2. he has said stuff like that before, but this time is different and I am having a hard time getting over what he said to me.

I guess I just need some advice on what to say back. I am not opening my own shop anytime soon and don't generally make them for anyone but family (there have been a few execptions) but it still hurts emotionally when people cut down all the hard work I've done.

Thanks again for letting me vent (I already feel better) icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 20

I would shoot back-could YOU do any better? Didn't think so douchebag.

That would be the end of that.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 20

What an a$$! Everyone has a nut on their family tree, hopefully he won't make it all the way by marrying your sister. If he does you know what to expect of him and can just consider the source. Ignore "Mr. Wonderful" and don't let him take away the joy you receive from baking and giving cakes away.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 20

From the pictures you have posted I think you're doing very well for a beginner. It does hurt when someone makes a remark like that about something you've worked so hard on. Most people don't understand the time and work that goes into making a cake. It's best not to let people like that know that their remarks get to you. It sounds like he thinks he's being funny but he is really insensitive. Try to let it go. Keep on practicing and enjoying your new found hobby.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 20

I rather go along w/Annie's 'comeback' BUT.......I certainly would NOT have thought of it right away - only later when crying the blues for him hurting my feelings icon_sad.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I would shoot back-could YOU do any better? Didn't think so douchebag.

The guy's a jerk. Lots of people in this world are like that so you need to be more confident. Practice saying, "Listen douchebag, ..."

Thanks Annie, I'm still laughing.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 20

Sometimes, stupid people make stupid comments just to get a rise out of you. I would have said, "Well...I guess it's not good enough for you to eat any, huh?"

Hopefully, your sis smacked him.

nana2me Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 20

AHAHAHAHA!!! Thank you all for the wonderful laughs, comebacks and comments. It always helps that after venting you get some good news to go with the new found good mood. I will definitly let "Mr. Wonderful" know his place in my book and keep all these wonderful comebacks in the back of my mind just in case.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 20

I had a similar comment made one time. My grandsons other grandmother told me that the cake in question wasnt my best work. I just said "yeah but it was a lot of work - what did you get him again?????" It shut her up. She's always been jealous of me and I'm kind of getting used to the comments.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:10am
post #10 of 20

Man, some people are just jerks aren't they?

I wouldn't sink to this guys level...ignore him whenever you have to be in his company. Eventually he'll get the hint.

I would bake him an extra "special" ex-lax cake!!! Want the recipe? lolol

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:19am
post #11 of 20

I just looked at your cake photos...you do beautiful work! Don't let this comment get you down. Cakes are alot of work, and most people think you just throw it together in an hour...lol, let him try! Feel better...by the way, my feelings would have smarted for a while too. icon_smile.gif

JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #12 of 20

Hey Nana2me,

First of all, saw your pics, they are great so he is a stupid head (that's my 1st grade comeback) LOL. I completely understand how you feel. My husband sometimes has a way of making me feel really bad about some of my cakes...for example I made a flower vase cake and he was very critical of it. Turns out it was my most popular cake here on CC. So, I threw that in his face pretty hard. It hurts coming from him because I value his opinion. Then there's the case of my sister in law claiming that anyone can decorate with fondant...she's a stupid head too; ) But in your case, your sis's bf probably says those things to get a rise out of you. He's probably just jealous of your talents. On a side note, I used to live in Surprise, AZ...I miss it a lot: )

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 6:23am
post #13 of 20

I would tell him that I now know what to get him for Christmas, something his mother obviously forgot to leave in his stocking... Emily Post's Ettiquite book.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 20

I know when cakes are not going right, my emotions are usually sitting there on the surface with a very fine film over there, doubly so if that happens to be the wrong time of the month.

My question to you is this: Do you value his opinion? Is his opinion something to even worth listening to?

If you don't value his opinion, and he doesn't have anything constructive to say, then I wouldn't even bother saying anything back. I'd ignore him. I know that is easier said than done, but really he isn't worth getting upset over.

I'd be willing to guarantee a minute after that comment came out of his mouth, he forgot about it, you and your feelings (not that he apparently cared about you or your feelings from the beginning). He isn't thinking about it any more, and if he is like some people I know, if you said something to him days later, he'd probably act like nothing happened at all.

Why are you giving a person you don't even like a place in your emotional existence?

nana2me Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 20

Thank you so much everyone, and TexasSugar you are so right, he is not worth anything to me. I am very greatful to everyone here, you have all helped me not only feel better about stupid people but you have all taught me so much icon_smile.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:17am
post #16 of 20

Keep it simple-just say "NO CAKE FOR YOU!" LOL

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:28am
post #17 of 20

I think I would say, Okay, if you are such an expert then let's have a Cake Off. Loser has to clean up the mess from the cake off. Of course the mess would come from you smashing the winning cake in his face. LOL

Seriously, he is egging you on for attention and trying to get under your skin. He is probably jealous of your talent. Ask him what is his great talent other than being a total jerk.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:39am
post #18 of 20

How about a simple f*&k off. I know, rude and harsh, but it does get the point across, doesn't it.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:26pm
post #19 of 20

Guess somebody's momma didn't teach him manners.

Try to remember that the opinion of someone with no talent or experience in the form of art doesn't really amount to much. It's just air passing out of his mouth. icon_biggrin.gif

I think you cakes are lovely. And since I know about cake ( a little bit anyway) take THAT for what it is worth. thumbs_up.gif

mommachris

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:31am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

How about a simple f*&k off. I know, rude and harsh, but it does get the point across, doesn't it.

that's the one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%