When Someone Makes A Booking 1 Year In Advance......

Business By Alana7 Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm by Kiddiekakes

Alana7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alana7 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 3

for their wedding cake, how do you price the cake? Do you give them the current price? This is what I have been doing, but find that my profits shrink with every passing month thumbsdown.gif

I give them a fair price and throw in a few incentives like a small topper or extra servings on cakes that I really want to do for experience. By the time their wedding day comes around I may have already got similar cakes under my belt and the need for experience is no longer there plus the cost of ingredients have gone up too. Thats when I'll be kicking myself for giving my time away icon_mad.gif

Just wondering how everyone else handles this.

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 3

We honor the price at the time of booking. Any changes would use prices at the time of the change.

If your profits are shrinking every month you need to either raise prices or find cheaper suppliers (or both). We raise prices every 6-12 months to reflect increasing prices for rent, labor, and ingredients.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 3

Don't be so quick to give out the extras for free..If you are in it to make money you aren't going to make anything by giving a bunch away....That being said...LOL

I learned along time ago that this is a business and MY livelihood so I don't throw in stuff as it come out of my pocket...I am not rude about it ..just you pay for everything you want...Give them a quote and state right on the page that the cake price is good until XX date and then subject to increase without notice.That way they see it right there in black and white and understand that after a certain date..the cake may go up in price.I always state "Subject to increase without notice"on all my quotes and website...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%