Wedding Cake Pricing Question

Decorating By treetgirl Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 3:19pm by TexasSugar

treetgirl Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 9

Do you charge the same price for round wedding cakes as you do square cakes and hex cakes? The reason I ask is CORNERS! I hate corners because they slow me down....I'm a perfectionist! TIA!

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 9

Most people price per serving, so their prices are based off of how many the cake will feed, now what shape the cake is.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 9

Exactly right Texas...Most charge per serving so it doesn't matter what shape the cake is..However if you are slower at some than others then maybe you should build in a slightly higher price for that type of cake but me as a bride would have a hard time being told that a hexagon cake that feeds the same amount of people as a round cake would cost me more because it takes the decorater more time to decorate..I would simply say.."Not my problem" JMO

CWR41 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetgirl

Do you charge the same price for round wedding cakes as you do square cakes and hex cakes? The reason I ask is CORNERS! I hate corners because they slow me down....I'm a perfectionist! TIA!

You have the option to not offer what you hate doing. It's okay to choose what you want for your own business. If they slow you down to the point where it's no longer profitable, you must stop offering it or make it worth your while and charge more. If it's an added labor cost, the bride pays... you don't eat the cost.

Stephy42088 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:40am
post #5 of 9

There are a lot of bakeries in my area who charge extra for square, hexagon, rectangle, petal, heart, etc shaped tiers.

cakestyles Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:11am
post #6 of 9

I've seen some bakers who charge a surcharge for hexagon's and squares also. I don't.

treetgirl Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:22am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all your thoughts...very helpful!

KoryAK Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:51am
post #8 of 9

Just like you'd charge more for a design that takes you longer to pipe than another, it's ok to charge more for a shape that takes you longer. That's the beauty of being in business for yourself - do it the way YOU want to!

TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Exactly right Texas...Most charge per serving so it doesn't matter what shape the cake is..However if you are slower at some than others then maybe you should build in a slightly higher price for that type of cake but me as a bride would have a hard time being told that a hexagon cake that feeds the same amount of people as a round cake would cost me more because it takes the decorater more time to decorate..I would simply say.."Not my problem" JMO

I can see adding a little extra time in your math to begin with when figuring your cake prices. When you figure your serving prices, you can allow for different things.

Just like I'd figure my prices off of the non sale items, even if I buy things on sell. Or I wouldn't figure my serving prices off the cheapest cake that I make. You can factor in extra time, as long as it is reasonable, for additional items, such as another half hour or hour to cover having to work on a square cake.

On cakes that would take you less time to ice, then you make a little extra profit. On cakes that take you longer to ice, then you cover most of that time. And even if go with a middle point when factoring your labor cost, over time it will even out.

Personally I'd increase my prices across the board a little, than to have to explain to a person buying the cake, why a round cake that serves 32 is $90 (using $3) and a square cake that serves the same amount is $112 (using $3.50).

Or why a round 14 inch that serves 78 is $234 ($3) while a square 12 in that serves 72 is $252 ($3.50).

As a consumer I'd want to know why the square cake cost more if it was the same amount (or less in the second example) of cake. And if I could get the same size square cake at another bakery for the $90 instead of the $112, I may just go there, especially if I wanted a three tiered wedding cake done in squares.

As has been stated in this thread, people do price and handle things differently. This is just my opinions, and in the end, you do have to do what is best for you. I'd just consider all sides of the equation, and look at it from a costumers point of view.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%