How Do I Make These Chocolate Squares???

Decorating By lealea2011 Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 11:41pm by LisaPeps

lealea2011 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have received a wedding cake order where the customer would like her cake surronded by chocolate aquares... I have attached 2 links to similar cakes I could find....
If anyone knows how to make these or wants to have a guess I would be very thankful!

5 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 6

You will probably have to melt it and pour it out onto a non-stick sheet, then when it hardens (or just put it in the fridge) cut it into pieces.

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 6

Maybe this will help. You can search for "chocolate panels." That's what I did.

lealea2011 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 6

THANKS SO MUCH everyone! I thought it would be a matter of melting, setting and vutting but best to be sure when its a wedding cake! VERY much apprechiate all of your help!

LisaPeps Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 6

I would either use melted chocolate or modelling chocolate. Martha Stewart uses melted chocolate and Mich Turner uses modelling chocolate.

For the melted chocolate, I would spread the chocolate on acetate strips so the chocolate sets shiny where it is on the acetate. You could even use chocolate transfer sheets. The only problem with this is that it's realllllly easy to break them. I used chocolate panels for this engagement cake :

3 out of 5 of the panels broke (the one on the lid, the one at the back and the one on the right hand side, you can see the corner is broken) once they were placed and stuck down. They also melt easily if you touch them and it is difficult to get them all the same thickness.

The modelling chocolate would be a much easier option, and would be the method I would use but it depends on what the client wants. Basically with the modelling chocolate, you roll it out as you would fondant, cut strips to whatever height and width you want. Chill it so that it firms up, pick it up and put it on the cake. I used modelling chocolate for this cake: so you can see that it stands up, away from the cake just fine.

The cake you linked to was done using the melted chocolate method.

This is Mich Turner's version using modelling chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%