My Fondant Won't Stay White

Baking By mnbakerygirl Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm by mnbakerygirl

mnbakerygirl Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 5

I've just recently started to use a marshmallow fondant recipe I was given but I'm having a hard time keeping it white white. It starts to yellow rather quickly. I'm not using vanilla extract, it's basically marshmallow fluff, powder sugar, a little shortenting and water. Anyone else have this issue and/or know how I can fix it? I'm wondering if I need to use C&H powder sugar????

I'm almost to the point where I look for another fondant recipe and start working with that instead. I refuse to use the box stuff cause it just doesn't taste good.

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 5

To me most fondant recipes aren't white white, but more of an off white. Have you tried adding some of Wilton's Bright white or Americolors white food coloring to it?

Kitagrl Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 5

If all else fails, I think that FondX tastes similar to marshmallow fondant...its the only fondant I will voluntarily eat a pinch or two while I'm working.

stormrider Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 5

Have you tried kneading it a lot more? I recently covered a cake board with fairly fresh mmf. The next day I had to re-knead the rest to roll out to cover my cake and it was much whiter that the fondant on the board. I had to do the board all over again but was able to match with more kneading. It might work a bit like taffy - the candy starts out a bit yellow (maybe from cooking the marshmallows) and the more it's pulled the whiter it gets. HTH

mnbakerygirl Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone, I'll try some of those and report back what I find!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%