Cake For Sunday - Do It Wednesday?

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 1:16am by SweetResults

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake for a friend due for a party on Sunday. However I really have to be out of town Wednesday night til Sunday morning. I can prep for it so that I would be able to bake and decorate Wednesday.

I can store it in the fridge til Sunday when the party is. I know I have cupcakes I baked last Thursday that have been in a container on the counter and are still good (no frosting so I did not put them in the fridge).

I really need it to be ok to do this cake on Wednesday for Sunday icon_cry.gif

I know I have baked Wednesday for Saturday weddings for very involved cakes - can anyone back me up on this so I can stop stressing over it? icon_sad.gif

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 9

If you use boxed mixes you will probably be ok due to all the preservatives. The thing is, refrigeration dries out a scratch cake, not sure about boxed ones though since I've never fridged one for that long. I would just box it up and wrap it WELL in plastic wrap and then refrigerate. Alternatively, you could research freezing a decorated cake. I have heard of people doing it successfully.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 9

We freeze decorated cakes all the time, as long as they don't have fresh fruit filling they should be fine.

mamaof3cutiez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3cutiez Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

We freeze decorated cakes all the time, as long as they don't have fresh fruit filling they should be fine.

I've been wondering about doing this. how do you prep the decorated cake to freeze it? do you freeze it boxed? and is this only for non-fondant cakes? and also how do you thaw it for best results? thanks in advance for any advise you can give! icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 9

We do mostly BC cakes, we either freeze them in boxes or plastic containers covered with plastic wrap. Make sure the cake is cooled before freezing and has time to thaw slowly in the fridge.

I wouldn't recommend freezing fondant-covered cakes since the thawing process traps moisture under the fondant.

mamaof3cutiez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3cutiez Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 9

thank you jason_kraft! icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 9

Refrigerated cakes--box or scratch-- do not dry out if they are coated in buttercream as it protects the cake from being exposed to dry air.

I would not freeze a decorated cake and you certainly would not want to wrap one up in cling wrap. You can freeze a buttercream coated cake, but they are fine in the refrigerator. If you have a fondant coated and decorated cake in the refrigerator, put the cake in a box and then wrap that box tightly with cling wrap --or even a garbage bag. When ready, bring to room temp while still wrapped. The condensation issues will be lessened. But even if they aren't, fondant dries eventually...it just takes time.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Alternatively, you could research freezing a decorated cake. I have heard of people doing it successfully.

Yes, frozen decorated cakes are shipped by wholesalers all the time.

I believe most cakes taste best at room temperature on day 4 or 5, and refrigeration can cause cake to dry out sooner.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:16am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everone, I am feeling a bit better about this. I know it will be okay, but sometimes I have to hear it from someone else icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%