Prepairing In Advance: How Long Is Too Long?

Decorating By Hanhathaway Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 5:23am by SugarBunz123

Hanhathaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hanhathaway Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 8

I have a problem. I am making a wedding cake for next week (the 13th) but just had a huge calendar conflict come up.

How much I can do ahead of time.?

I am making a fondant covered cake with chocolate frosting underneath, and a raspberry filling.

Is there a way I can bake the cake, level it, fill it, and freeze or refrigerate it until I am ready to crumb coat it & cover it with fondant??

Will this affect the taste or quality of the cake?

How many days ahead is too long?

Thanks!

<3 Hannah

7 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, you can bake, level, fill, stack and freeze ahead of time. I've done it up to two weeks in advance of when the cake is served. They will take longer to thaw, since they are stacked, so allow 1/2 day or so for that.

I'm not sure how that raspberry filling will freeze, though. I've generally only freeze buttercream stacked. It might absorb into the cake.

If you have time, bake a little one, stack the filling in there, freeze and thaw and see how it does!

Hanhathaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hanhathaway Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 8

Can I freeze with fondant on the cake? Will it sweat?

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 8

I'm not certain about the fondant.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 8

It's not a good idea to fz a fondant covered cake. From what I have been told the problem comes in in the defrosting. There will be no way for the moisture in the cake to dry off so you could have a soggy cake.
Everything else is totally do-able.
As for how long defrosting will take - best if it goes from fzr to frig overnight, then to room temp for a couple of hours.
If you do choose to fz it already covered in fondant - yes, it will sweat BUT......that's not a problem if you *don't touch it at all* until it is dry again. You might put a light fan on it to help speed the drying.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 8

I have frozen a crumb coated cake with raspberry filling but sandwiched the filing between layers of buttercream. Worked fine!

Chericakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chericakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:15am
post #7 of 8

I am interested in the how the cakes that are torted, filled and crumb coated are wrapped before they are frozen. I have frozen cakes that are unfilled. Thank you in advance.

SugarBunz123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBunz123 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:23am
post #8 of 8

I was wondering if you could ice them with buttercream then freeze them, or would they go soggy too? I am making mini cakes for wedding centerpieces with no filling and just buttercream frosting. How far in advance can a cake be frozen without tasting like it's been frozen?

Cheers!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%