Fillings, Fillings, Fillings!

Decorating By theCword Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 8:23pm by SweetSuzieQ

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all!

I get completely overwhelmed with fillings so I end up just using my bc to fill. I'd like to try something different.
I have a cake coming up for a 1st b-day party. I'd like to try a filling other than bc.

Also, what makes a filling perishable and non-perishable. To stay on the safe side, I'd rather go for non-perishable as it might be an outside party.

Help me extend my horizons please. icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 10

I am one that thinks cake is too sweet. So, I definitely try lighter fillings in my cakes. Most of the time I use a filling, (strawberry,raspberry, etc.) a thin layer, with a mousse filling with it. To make it non-pershible, I use pastry pride whipped topping with instant pudding mixed in. You can add any flavor you like to the filling. Check out the recipe section of cc, you will find all types.

Ginnycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 10

Here's a fillling babystep for you -- just mix jam or preserves with your BC and fill as usual. You can vary the jam and vary the taste. I just sort of start dumping jam and mixing until the BC tastes right. It's nonperishable as long as your buttercream is nonperishable -- I'd suggest Crisco buttercream or high-ratio BC; real butter can be iffy. Good luck!
icon_smile.gif

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 10

A big hit a my kids parties is oreo filling. However, it's oreos crushed into homemade whipped cream. so i don't know how long it could stay outside. you may even beable to crush oreos into a vanilla or chocolate pudding. That might hold better outside.

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 10

I will 2nd the oreo cookie filling idea. make some vanilla pudding, mix with some bettercream and add crushed oreo cookies. kids love that. Check the bettercream thread you will find lots of ideas. If you don't find it, PM Melvira.... she is the queen of bettercream icon_smile.gif and very helpful too.
Sorry Mel... didnt mean to robe you in icon_biggrin.gif

DJSwans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DJSwans Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 10

Excellent ideas. Thanks everyone

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 10

Oreo filling it is then! I had checked it out before and it's brilliant for a 1st b-day cake... thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 10

Just remember regular pudding is perishable. Mixing Oreos in your buttercream is also an option.

BabyGSR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGSR Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 10

luntus - where can I find the bettercreme thread on here?

all these are wonderful ideas.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 10

I LOVE to use curds as fillings cuz, like cathyscakes, I don't like things too sweet and, love the tang of the curd with the sweet of the cake and icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%