Help!!! Having Trouble Renting Comm Kitchen Space

Business By robbynjaye Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm by Dizzymaiden

robbynjaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbynjaye Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 20

Great afternoon!

I am in delaware county, PA and when I inquire with churches and fire houses about them considering me renting their kitchen space for my business, they almost have a heart attack on the phone, lol. It's not really funny but i'm annoyed. I know I wouldnt have this problem in LA or NY! We are so behind the times here in Philly. Sorry, just frustrated.
For those of you who have succeeded in renting a commercial kitchen, please share with me the approach you took. Did you make phone calls, what did you say? Did you write letters or go up in person.
I'm thinking maybe my approach is wrong.
I'm starting to lose faith here and I'm not usually like that. Please, any guidance is greatly appreciated!

19 replies
petitgateau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitgateau Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 20

I'm also interested in pursuing renting a commerical kitchen. Here in MN the rules are so tight - it's crazy!! icon_smile.gif I haven't started looking yet, but I know I can't even start a business without having a commerical kitchen, so no sense even thinking about it yet!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 20

Try this link to see if you can find something - good luck:

http://www.commercialkitchenforrent.com/

Just a note and it is not to be mean, when you write "bump" so your notice can go up on the board some people will not help out. It has been a big issue with people putting "bump". I go to forums and see all new posting and it does not people awhile to look at whats being posted. Again, this is not to be mean but some people like to start stuff and if the see "bump" they start talking crap just to stir the pot.

robbynjaye Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 20

Thanks. I already checked out that site and we only have one in the Philly area.

I'm not sure I know what you are refering to. I didnt write "bump". Dizzymaiden wrote that. I didnt even know what that meant, lol.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbynjaye

Thanks. I already checked out that site and we only have one in the Philly area.

I'm not sure I know what you are refering to. I didnt write "bump". Dizzymaiden wrote that. I didnt even know what that meant, lol.

Sorry about that, I was on break and wanted to give the answer before I logged off. I am so sorry.

I hope the link helps you out. Also, do a google search, "kitchen rental with the area you want" Have a good day and now time to go back to work for me. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 20

Sorry - I have not done that since I started on CC. It used to be a way to help by getting it back up on the question board. I did not know it was in bad form.

Thanks for the heads up. Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

Try this link to see if you can find something - good luck:

http://www.commercialkitchenforrent.com/

Just a note and it is not to be mean, when you write "bump" so your notice can go up on the board some people will not help out. It has been a big issue with people putting "bump". I go to forums and see all new posting and it does not people awhile to look at whats being posted. Again, this is not to be mean but some people like to start stuff and if the see "bump" they start talking crap just to stir the pot.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 20

There's nothing wrong with bumping a thread IMO but next time you'll probably want to wait a little more than 4 minutes after it's been posted. icon_wink.gif

Philly Kitchen Share is closed, but there are a few projects in the works (not sure how far they've progressed):
http://www.greensgrow.org/philly/modules/smartproject/partner.php?id=3&cid=
http://philafood.net/wp/

robbynjaye Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 20

Wow! I wasnt aware that Philly Kitchen shared closed that quickly, thanks for the heads up!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 20

robbynjaye, when you approach places with commercial kitchens, how do you start the conversation? Do you know if it's specific things they get upset about? ... In my area, the Hudson Valley, many churches, restaurants, and social service organizations rent or barter their kitchens. It's far cheaper than any of the shared use facilities around here.

Sorry, but feedback from my students is that http://www.commercialkitchenforrent.com/ is not complete. Many kitchens are not listed and other listed kitchens are closed. So while it might be a resource, don't rely solely on that site.

robbynjaye Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 20

Mimifix, I start off my introducing myself as a local cupcake bakery owner. I tell them that I do a lot of local events, fairs, etc adn that I am currently working from my home and I have now outgrown it and I am looking for a local commercial kitchen to rent hourly and if they would consider thinking about renting their space out to me for my business. I don't get too much further than that before they say, no, or they dont feel comfortable, etc. Maybe my approach is off.
Are you renting a space? How was your approach?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 20

i think i'm having a hard time with this too icon_sad.gif people immediately start sounding like i'm crazy and I've only asked a couple...so then i just feel defeated and don't call anywhere else

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 20

I had a very hard time finding a kitchen to use in my town/state. I think I tried just about every "social club", church, several restaurants... I was very discouraged but expanded my search before I gave up. I found a place about 30-40 min from my home. It's farther than I prefer, but the way I look at it- I'd probably drive that far for an office job anyway.

Maybe it's just a matter of expanding you search a little?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 20

robbynjaye, just thinking of why this hasn't worked for you...

Has there been any bad press in your area about renting commercial space to food entrepreneurs? Or about insurance issues? Or kitchen fires? If nothing cones to mind, you should consider follow-up visits to a couple of the places you've tried. Ask them why they are not interested in renting.

I assume you are currently working with a permit/license in a cottage law state. So anyone you approach needs to understand that you're a professional. How is your demeanor? And I strongly suggest at the first meeting you bring them cupcakes.

One other suggestion - maybe try approaching restaurants, pizza shops, other eateries. Businesses that are closed for several hours may totally get the concept of this financial win-win situation.

Good luck, keep trying,
Mimi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 20

in my area it's all about themselves...no one is willing to help each other out and it's really sad

jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 20

Did you mention that you will carry your own liability insurance and be inspected by the health dept separately?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:59am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

There's nothing wrong with bumping a thread IMO but next time you'll probably want to wait a little more than 4 minutes after it's been posted. icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Since you brought it up... It's actually a huge pet-peeve of mine.

Please don't bump icon_smile.gif

It's unnecessary, it clogs the forum with useless posts and most likely it's going to get deleted anyway

The best thing to do is post a quick reply. For example
instead of typing 'bump' and making that your entire post...

Say something, like 'anyone else have an idea?'

Or something to that effect....It's short, its sweet, it accomplishes what you want... bumping the thread to the most recent and it actually adds something to the conversation.

This isn't a rule, just a request from me to help me keep my sanity while moderating the forum and trying to keep it organized for everyone.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-262693-bump.html

Since CC now has the view posts since last visit option bump is pretty much obsolete....

Why stay glued to the homepage waiting for ten topics to change, when using VPSLT brings up pages of posts entered since your last visit (not just since your current log in).

Additionally, using VPSLT guarantees you won't miss one post entered since your last visit.

HTH

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:16am
post #17 of 20

Im interested in renting a commercial kitchen myself but am not sure what i should be offering as far as payment for an hourly rental?

jason_kraft Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:19am
post #18 of 20

Hourly rates typically range between $10-30/hour depending on location and amenities.

Based on your business plan you should already have a number for maximum hourly rent beyond which you won't meet your profit goals, so be sure to start well below that number.

robbynjaye Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks for the responses. I have also expanded my search to catering companies as a local bakery told me that I may have better luck. That particular bakery was super busy and dont really have down time. I will be making some more phone calls today.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #20 of 20

now I just feel stupid...believe me I won't do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Since you brought it up... It's actually a huge pet-peeve of mine.

Please don't bump icon_smile.gif

It's unnecessary, it clogs the forum with useless posts and most likely it's going to get deleted anyway

The best thing to do is post a quick reply. For example
instead of typing 'bump' and making that your entire post...

Say something, like 'anyone else have an idea?'

Or something to that effect....It's short, its sweet, it accomplishes what you want... bumping the thread to the most recent and it actually adds something to the conversation.

This isn't a rule, just a request from me to help me keep my sanity while moderating the forum and trying to keep it organized for everyone.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-262693-bump.html

Since CC now has the view posts since last visit option bump is pretty much obsolete....

Why stay glued to the homepage waiting for ten topics to change, when using VPSLT brings up pages of posts entered since your last visit (not just since your current log in).

Additionally, using VPSLT guarantees you won't miss one post entered since your last visit.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%