Help-Cottagefoodbill, Need Non-Refrigerated Recipes!

Baking By bluedaisies Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 2:26pm by TinkerCakes

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 5

Per the Cottage Food Bill here in FL, everything must NOT have to go in the fridge. So I'm assuming I can't make my buttercream from real butter, and certainly not milk. So I'm resigned to using shortening, fine. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here.)
But now I'm on the hunt for fillings that don't need to be refrigerated.
Suggestions?

4 replies
cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 5

I'm also from Florida but do not find anywhere in the bill where you are not allowed to refrigerate?
Butter and milk in your icing is acceptable ingredients. Just remember you need a label on your products including ingredients. In my area I did have to get a business tax license and approval from the county planning for home occupational permit. (this is different in each county. I was able to get business tax by providing documents and they called it Manufacturing cottage food oper. Still waiting on home occup. it's in review and hope to have soon. Good Luck

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnglass

I'm also from Florida but do not find anywhere in the bill where you are not allowed to refrigerate?
Butter and milk in your icing is acceptable ingredients. Just remember you need a label on your products including ingredients. In my area I did have to get a business tax license and approval from the county planning for home occupational permit. (this is different in each county. I was able to get business tax by providing documents and they called it Manufacturing cottage food oper. Still waiting on home occup. it's in review and hope to have soon. Good Luck

Aw you got my hopes up... but I did go double check. See here: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/fs/CottageFoodAdvisory.pdf
2nd page, red print in the table - there's one that says the following:
"Bakery goods which require any type of re-frigeration such as cream, custard or me-ringue pies and cakes or pastries with cream cheese icings or fillings."

icon_cry.gif

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 5

I guess it's how we interpret this: I believe it's talking about a product that requires immediate refrigeration, like the custard pies and meringues. With cakes if you like creme cheese as icing or filling there are several recipes out there that require no immediate refrigeration.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 5

I believe butter and milk in icing is acceptable as well, it doesn't go bad for a LONG time because of the sugar. If I end up selling cakes I have decided I am not using any perishable fillings...I just didn't want the risk anyway. (from what that says, I couldn't if I wanted to!) I think I will start trying out different flavors of buttercream....

Many say that the fillings in sleeves don't need refrigeration, even though the package says "refrigerate after opening"! I would take any chances. Maybe others will comment and give some better ideas for fillings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%