Cake Spoilage

Decorating By glwmville Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 4:58am by Kitagrl

glwmville Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:50am
post #1 of 6

Is it just my experience, or are cakes made from mixes not lasting as long as they used to? It seems like the 2nd day they are srtarting to spoil. Or is it because we hve been puttung the cut cake into plastic containers or cake savers instead of using plastic wrap and the box?

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:46am
post #2 of 6

Spoil how? Mold or dry out? What kind of cake?

It should last a lot longer than 2 days... once covered with icing, the cake can't dry out and get stale, it could start to grow mold from the icing holding in the moisture, but that doesn't usually happen until it's about 2 weeks old.

carmijok Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:01am
post #3 of 6

I use boxed mixes all the time and don't have cake starting to spoil after 2 days. What are you doing and where are you storing it?

SillySkittles Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:33am
post #4 of 6

Haven't had that either :S Then again, I've only made cakes using boxed mix that are max, a few days in advance.

Is there too much moisture in the cake saver you're storing them in? Or is there any kind of dairy or anything that you're using with it? Sorry that's happening to you!

caymancake Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:34am
post #5 of 6

I had a customer complain that they bought a cake from another caker who uses box mixes and comment that her cakes spoiled quicker than the ones she normally gets from me (I'm a mostly scratch baker)....I haven't had that experience but your not the first person I know who has asked that question

Kitagrl Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:58am
post #6 of 6

I don't think cake itself spoils very fast. It would get stale before it would "spoil".

Quote by @%username% on %date%