Dairy Free Buttercream

Baking By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 11:38pm by secondbase

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 7

We have a request for a dairy free cake, and I am trying to find a good dairy free "buttercream" that will hold up well for decorating, and be ok out of the fridge for a while. The recipes I have found call for margarine, and I am concerned that the softness of the margarine will be a problem. Does anyone have a good dairy free buttercream that works for decorating?

6 replies
MimiFix Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 12:00am
post #2 of 7

My basic buttercream uses half butter and half shortening. When I need a vegan (non-dairy) icing I use vegan margarine. If you're concerned about it being too soft, add slightly more confectioners' sugar. But you won't need much.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 12:11am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much!

SweetSuzieQ Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 7

I believe that Crisco is vegan (even the butter flavor kind) so, you could probably just go all Crisco.

cbiscuit85 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:04am
post #5 of 7

I always use spectrum organic shortening, I don't find it to be as greasy as crisco and holds up better in hot weather than margarine.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 7

Yeah, I looked into Spectrum, but I couldn't find if anywhere local has it, and I don't have time to order it for this cake. I will definitely be using Crisco this time, but next time I would like to try Spectrum.

secondbase Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 7

I use Spectrum shortening in my buttercream, and Earth Balance margarine (vegan). 50/50, just like a regular buttercream. I actually think it tastes better than dairy buttercream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%