3D Monkey Cake... Help!!

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 4:54am by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to do this cake (http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1393087) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the monkey. I was thinking of using the Wilton 3D cuddly bear pan & just carving it a bit & then making the arms & legs with fondant. How do you think they made the fur? I was thinking it was chocolate buttercream... What do you think?

Also, do you think I need a more dense cake for the monkey?

Also I thought I would put a dowel through the top of the monkey & through to the base of the cake, so it wouldn't fall over. I think that should work??

Any tips would be appreciated!!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
christiecando Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, I think the fur is buttercream with the grass tip. And if you're going to be carving you'll want a denser cake. I actually freeze mine a bit before carving. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

SugarMama5 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:14am
post #3 of 9

Yeah, that's what I thought too. icon_smile.gif

Ok I was thinkning about doing this recipe, it's a cake with pudding mix added to it. (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/lemon-cake/detail.aspx) I think I seem to remember reading somewhere that I can't use regular cake with this bear pan or it will fall apart?? Sound right?? Do you think that this recipe would hold up? The lady wants a lemon cake for the monkey. I also thought of doing a WASC cake and substitute lemon in for the almond. Has anyone tried that??

SugarMama5 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:14am
post #4 of 9

Bump icon_wink.gif

nicoles0419 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:32am
post #5 of 9

that looks like a star tip just swirled around

angelleyes Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:33am
post #6 of 9

To me it looks like they did the scissor method with the fur...

inspiredbymom Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 5:33am
post #7 of 9

It looked like the star tip to me too. The bear is suppose to use a heavier cake like a pound cake. However, I have never tried adding lemon to it. I have actually used a chocolate cake in that type of pan before and it was fine. When I tried white cake, not so much. If I find the instruction sheet, I will look at it again and share. Sorry......icon_sad.gif

SugarMama5 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by angelleyes

To me it looks like they did the scissor method with the fur...

What's the scissors method??

SugarMama5 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:54am
post #9 of 9

Bump icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%