Candy Cake

Decorating By fragglerock1 Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm by jlcalvert

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making a cake for my daughter's birthday that will have a candy shop theme. It will just be a regular 9" round cake filled and frosted. I plan to decorate it will candy including several big whirly lollipops and twisty pops in the center. My question is, if I just stick the lollipops (they have wooden sticks) into the cake will the cake hold up or will the lollipops weigh it down and destroy the cake? It will be a strawberry cake with a whipped filling, which is my daughter's favorite. TIA

9 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 10

I think that if you put them straight in and not on an angle then should be okay. If you put them in at an angle the last minute then they might stay long enough to take pic and sing "Happy Birthday" I guess it probably depends on the size/weight of the lollipop too.

fragglerock1 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 10

I was planning on sticking them in at an angle so that it has more of a whimisical look. I see it in pictures all the time, I'm just not sure if they are just sticking them straight into the cake or not.

fragglerock1 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 10

If you take a look at this video, you will see what I'm talking about. The first cake they discuss is what I had in mind.

http://gordongossip.blogspot.com/2010/02/candy-shop-birthday-cake.html

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #5 of 10

Could you try sticking a straw in and then putting the lollypop stick inside the straw?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:49am
post #6 of 10

Why don't you just make it a 2 tier and make the 2nd tier just a styrofoam cake covered in fondant with the lolipops stuck into that. My niece wanted a candy cake and that was my plan until she switched it to Dora

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:00am
post #7 of 10

I love that video but noticed how tall that cake was. It's about 6".

fragglerock1 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

I love that video but noticed how tall that cake was. It's about 6".

Is that taller then the average size cake?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 10

I tried to post a comment and after trying for 1/2 hour to meet the so-called requirements I gave up icon_sad.gif

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 10

Most layered cakes are about 4"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%