Frozen Cake Good If Using Fondant???

Decorating By roxygoar Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 7:40pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

roxygoar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxygoar Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 2

hello, i am wondering about two different issues...
-
if i should thaw out my cakes before icing them and covering them with fondant? or if it is actually easier to do when frozen?? i just wondered if anything would happen to my fondant if i cover the cakes when frozen and then as the cake thaws out it gives off some sort of moisture....??? really don't know so i thought i would ask to prevent a disaster as i am making three cakes for next weekend!
also.....
-
i was wondering where you would store the three cakes after they are done???? would you put them in a box ont he counter i have heard of fondant going all slimy if put back in the fridge!!!????
thanks so much in advance for the information...

1 reply
The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 2

Personally I have a lot of trouble with covering frozen, or even cold, cakes in fondant (with bubbles forming under the fondant from condensation). I wait until the cake is at room temperature before covering it. Then I do not return it to the fridge, I use non-perishable ingredients and keep the cake on the counter.
Once, a long time ago, I did some royal icing stenciling on top of a fondant-covered cake and then put it in the fridge. When I took it out, the 'sweating' of the cake ruined the stenciling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%