Recipes For Inspection In Va

Business By kger Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 6:11pm by costumeczar

kger Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 3

Virginia requires submission of all recipes when you apply for licensing/inspection. It's not that I have any secrets, but I get overwhelmed trying to document everything. The fun of baking is trying new recipes.

As a custom baker, I don't have a "menu," but can accomodate special requests. I'm also willing to experiment with different flours/sweeteners to make things gluten free or low GI. And I can't even commit to a BC recipe. Sometimes I like Wren's Cottage, sometimes I like Indydebi's, sometimes i like Wilton. And cake fillings! Yowza! That could go on for pages and pages.

How have you/would you handle this?

I just read a thread on here somewhere that inspection isn't required in VA for something like less than $50k in sales provided nothing perishable is sold and everything is labeled accordingly. Am I interpreting this correctly?

2 replies
cohen1 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:14am
post #2 of 3

There are other posts on this forum that talk about the inspection process you may want to do some searching.

In general, you dont have to be inspected however it is not based on how much you make. But if you choose to not be inspected you have to list on our product that you are not inspected.

If you choose to get inspected it is through the department of agriculture. You do have to submit your recipies. I wrote up everything that I used but I am constantly creating new recipies. I just collect them if it is an inspection year I submit it with them, if not then i send them in.

costumeczar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 3

I do the same thing...every time I'm inspected I give them my new recipes and tell them which ones I'm not using any more. But I did write everything up the first time. They said they'd never had as thick a file as mine, haha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%