Sugarpaste Bows

Decorating By ieatcakes157 Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 10:25pm by ieatcakes157

ieatcakes157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ieatcakes157 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 5

Heya,
I'm a beginner at doing cakes, and I've been practising making sugarpaste bows. I did one which was quite good, but it had cracked on the bend. How do you stop it from cracking!?
Thanks icon_redface.gif

4 replies
Mandyjb74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandyjb74 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 5

if you use too much powdered sugar it cracks, try putting some vegatable oil on your hand when kneading the fondant. if you make them out of flower paste it helps too

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 5

You might have taken too long to pleat and bend. If you let it lay flat for too long (minutes) then it will start to dry out and crack when you bend or move it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 5

There could be two things. You do have to work quickly with the fondant/gumpaste because it will start to dry out and crack. You also have to support your loops in some way while they dry. You can do the loops over a dowel rod, or you can lay them on their sides. If you start to assemble the bow before the looks are dry, you need to put something in the middle of the looks like paper towels or tissue paper, to help prop them open while they continue to dry.

ieatcakes157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ieatcakes157 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for the replies icon_smile.gif I will give them another go icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%