Picket Fence For The Beach Wedding Cake

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 3:32pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,
On some of the beach wedding cakes in the gallery, it looks like picket fence used for decoration, but it looks purchased rather than made. Do you know what I'm talking about? Anyone knows where I can get some pieces like that?
Thanks in advance, P

5 replies
KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 6

I was looking everywhere for these when I had to make them and then came across them at Michael's in the wood craft section. I looked at Walmart and AC Moore and didn't find them there. So try Michael's!

Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, I'll check Michael's out. I found them on line but don't really want to pay shipping.
Thanks, P

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:28am
post #4 of 6

This is more time consuming of course, but you could always make it by rolling out gumpast and cutting them into the pieces and then wiring them together with something edible. Nothing is coming to mind. Just a thought

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 6

Amy, I tried that, but the gumpaste pieces are so small and fragile that handling them too much to wire them together had me breaking them. If you figure out how to do it edible, let me know!

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks you all. I've done fence out of gumpaste before but this is for an outside wedding in our humid Gulf Coast heat. I've had some issues with gumpaste pieces going a little soft this summer, and since the fence is free standing rather than leaning on the side of the cake, I think non-eatable fence will work better. I'll check out Michaels and Hobby Lobby, I'm thinking their doll house sections will have something appropriate.
Thanks, P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%