Frozen Desserts

Lounge By cookiefairy Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 5:23pm by bakingpw

cookiefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiefairy Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 7

I'm SOOOO excited!!! I've just been asked to make all of the desserts for a local cafe. The glitch is that they want them all to be individual desserts that they can freeze in order to be able to minimize waste, at least until their customers get used to the idea of the option of desserts. They are willing to put basic garnishes on them like drizzle or whipped cream, but they'd really like to just be able to pull them out a few a day and serve them.
Besides basic cupcakes or mini cakes, any ideas about desserts that can be frozen and then easily served?
I've absolutely LOVE cannolis and cream puffs, but I'm not sure that they can be frozen with the filling.
I'm willing to try anything!!
THANKS!!!!

6 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 7

Cannoli and creampuff filling ca not be frozen. Cheesecakes freeze very well and also thaw rather quickly. Tarts freeze well but not those with cream filling. Brownies and bars which can be garnished with ice cream also freeze well.

I did this for a local cafe as well when I was first starting off my business. The only problem I had, and reason I quit doing it was: they would take them out of the freezer and then if they did not sell keep them out for days until they did sell. My customers kept telling me they got the dessert and it was stale. Since my name was on the product, I stopped. They also had a problem paying me when I invoiced. Hopefully, you'll have better luck than I.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Cannoli and creampuff filling ca not be frozen.

Sure they can:
http://www.tasteitpresents.com/Cann%20FS.htm

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7

I've bought cream puffs at the grocery store that were frozen so I think it'd all depend on the type of filling you used.

Lets be honest, probably 90% of the desserts you find in all restaurants are frozen. You think any of the big chain restaurants have someone back there baking every day?

I think the biggest thing is how you prepare them to be frozen that is the key. I would precut and place some wax paper between the cuts, so they can easily be removed.

I can see cheesecakes, key lime pie, cakes...

bakingpw Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 7

I was speaking from a "scratch made" Point of view - Ok, let me more specific: Cannoli cream made with Ricotta Cheese, a bit of powdered sugar, orange zest and vanilla extract should not be frozen as is also the case with custard based desserts. They definitely get watery and experience a break-down.

Commercial products are filled with preservatives and enhancers and starches so they may not experience the same results - I don't know, because I don't use these types of products. As Jason has pointed out, they can be frozen and freshly piped into cannoli shells.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Commercial products are filled with preservatives and enhancers and starches so they may not experience the same results - I don't know, because I don't use these types of products. As Jason has pointed out, they can be frozen and freshly piped into cannoli shells.

The product I linked to does not contain any starches or preservatives, here is the label:

http://www.tasteitpresents.com/Cann%20RT_files%5CNIA%5CCannoli%20Kit%20-%2018%20oz%20-%20Complete%20Info.JPG

I can't comment on the taste since I've never had them...freshly made is probably better, but the product I linked can be frozen for up to a year.

bakingpw Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 7

well...what do I know?!

OP - Congratulations and Good luck on your new endeavor!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%