Fondant Tier (Wedding Cake) Question

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 10:12am by Tails

specialtycakesbysara Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake to make, that is covered in fondant, but each tier doesn't have a border on the bottom. I don't work with fondant all the time, so can anyone give me some hints on how I would get the fondant from the tier above to smooth into the next tier below it? Any tips, suggestions, etc??? icon_cry.gif

4 replies
DeniseNH Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:18am
post #2 of 5

Two things. You can either place the cake up on a smaller stand and cover it with fondant then cut the bottom border a little longer and wrap the fondant around and under the bottom. But this is tricky because you can't take the cake off of the stand to set it down anywhere. It would have to be placed on the cake board and not moved. Then do the same with the second tier, etc. Or you can cover the tiers and even off the bottoms then stack. Then mix up a batch of standard buttercream and put into an icing bag with a small O tip and pipe icing into the crack between the two cakes then smooth with a damp finger. The icing makes the cakes look like they don't have a seam and have all been covered with one pc. of fondant. For best results make sure the top of each cake is perfectly flat.

specialtycakesbysara Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the second option is the easiest and best way to go, right??

DeniseNH Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 5

You got that right. icon_smile.gif

Tails Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:12am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%