How Do I 'curl' The Petals Like This?

Decorating By TickleMySweetTooth Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 8:15am by mcaulir

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 12

Anyone tell me how to curl these flowers like this?
My coworker told me a ball tool.. and then press them.. but not sure how exactly.
I was going to give it a try today if I figure it out.
Thanks!!

11 replies
kel58 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 12

yeah i would say its just the ball tool used of a piece of foam.

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 12

Put the fondant on a foam pad, then run the ball tool around the edge in long strokes, mostly off the petal. This thins the petals. You can also get a huge ball tool and stroke the petals from off the edge of the petal down to the center -- this will curl them up in a cup form. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 12

thanks!
so this is the tool I have..

If I make gumpaste out of fondant..
I just cut flowers.. then just roll the big ball end on the edge of the petal on foam right? Then set to dry? do you do not need to use those cups do you? Also do you need to cut flowers then set them aside to dry up a bit before trying to curl the petals? or should it work right away?

Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMySweetTooth

thanks!
so this is the tool I have..

If I make gumpaste out of fondant..
I just cut flowers.. then just roll the big ball end on the edge of the petal on foam right? Then set to dry? do you do not need to use those cups do you? Also do you need to cut flowers then set them aside to dry up a bit before trying to curl the petals? or should it work right away?

Thanks!

1. That's a great tool. Use the larger end.

2. yes, roll the big end on the edge of the petal on the foam.

3. Set to dry in a flower former, or if you don't have one, use either foil loosely scrunched and then flattened or an egg crate, depending on how much "cup" shape you want.

4. By "cups" do you mean flower formers? If so, they sure come in handy.

5. Cut the flowers, I usually do 3 - 5 at one time, depending on how large they are, and place them under plastic so they don't dry out. Put one on the foam and ball it and stick it in the former, then do the next one. When you get done with those, cut more flowers. Make sure your fondant or gumpaste does not dry out while you're using it or you will have a nightmare on your hands.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! icon_biggrin.gif

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks!! off to play.. well after some housework.. lol icon_smile.gif Thanks again!

bakencake Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 12

if your fondant is sticking to your tool put a little of cornstarch/p.sugar to make the tool glide. hth

TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 12

You can place the ball tool in the middle of each petal and pull the tool to the center. That will curl the petals inward.

esangston Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 5:52am
post #9 of 12

If your flowers are small enough, I've found that using the super cheap painters easel ( they sell them in packs of 10 and each has 8 or more wells) gives them more of a 3d effect, flower formers seem so 2 sided in my experience. Gl

sarahllx01 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:34am
post #10 of 12

Thanks

pusskin Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:14am
post #11 of 12

Um what size flowers are we talking about I'm useless at judging scale from that type of picture. From the method your workmate suggested it seems she was thinking plunger flowers that is thumbnail sized or smaller. If so then gently pressing the large end of the ball tool into the centre of the flower on firm foam will cause them to curl up around it, at that size they dry quickly enough that a former is not necessary. Hth

Yours aye
Puss

mcaulir Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:15am
post #12 of 12

I y don't have a foam pad, fold up a tea towel and put some plastic wrap over it. Good enough fo small flowers like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%