Draping Fondant Veil Over 3 Tier Seperated Cake?

Decorating By DocCupcakes Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 2:38pm by emilyg

DocCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DocCupcakes Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 4

A client has asked if it is possible to have a 3 tier spong wedding cake, that has a traling fondant veil draped down all of the tiers...

This wouldnt be so bad if it was a stacked cake, but the client was the 3 teirs to be seperated... and we are wondering if its possible? We are concerned that the weight and delicate nature of a fondant style veil would either collapse or fall aprt...

We are n00b's at formal cake decorating, and have only recently started to venture into sponge cakes for weddings.. we mainly do novelty, celebration and cupcakes... and are concerned we might be taking on a bit too much with this one....

We could try to persuade the clients to either have a sample of her wedding dress to drape between the cakes, or perhaps not to have the cakes sperated..

Couls sugar veil be an option instead???

We also have to think about getting the cake to the venu and constructing it on the day... which is a bit nervewrecking!

Any advice???

3 replies
emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Doc,

This is a perfect job for SugarVeil lace or veils, draped from tier to tier. It is really lightweight, won't weigh down the spongecake tiers, and the lace and veils you can make using the Confectioners' Mats are spectacular. Go to http://www.sugarveil.com/mat/sugarveil-mat.htm and look at the different styles, especially Dot Veil and Rose Mantilla (cakes using these mats are also shown on a few of my Cake Central cakes in the photo gallery). Let me know if I can help any further - Michele at SugarVeil

DocCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DocCupcakes Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 8:08am
post #3 of 4

Funny you should suggest that.. I was looking at that very site yesterday.. thanks!

Would/could you use the same stuff to make a solid veil, more like a sheet or ribbon, or could you achieve the same with a hardened fondant, perhaps mixed with some gumpaste/tylo?...or would this be too heavy??

Reently purchased a silhouette (robocraft) cutting machine, after reading on these forums to assist with the more intricate design work, and I believe that can be used to cut sugarveil too... just need to master it!!!

Thanks for your advice...

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 4

Doc, you can spread a thin, solid layer of SugarVeil onto the Confectioners' Mats for a "solid" veil, like this photo (this is using the Rose Mantilla mat): http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2032760/2032764. SugarVeil also works with the electronic cutters - here are the instructions for doing that: http://www.sugarveil.com/pdfs/sugarveil-electronic-cutters.pdf. And you mention decorating the cake on site at the venue, and I've done this many times with SugarVeil. When traveling, store the decorations between sheets of parchment, rolled up and placed in a thermal bag. If on an airline, keep the thermal bag with you in the passenger cabin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%